Front Number Plate

Guest rizla

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where ford got the idea for turning the Ka into a convertable model-its still yuk though! :wacko:

Rizla- I to am running turbo power, and although the strengthening plate sounds a good idea to stop bending i am reluctant to stick even a normal sized plate on the front of mine as the last thing you want to restrict is the amount of precious airflow going into the fron of of the car. :o

I have built (quite impressivly though i say so myself) a formula 1 style front splitter to attach underneath the nose cone. This serves two purposes- firstly it deflects any crap from going up into the engine bay and helps protect my fans from stray stones and secondly it is angled upward so as to direct more air towards the intercooler and radiator. B)

It looks wierd (but cool to). Only held on with a couple of bolts so its easy to remove if i want. I will eventually post a piccy for everyone to laugh at! :(

I think i am tempted to go for the hinged version but i know people who have been done by plod (motorbikes) as they use this tactic to when they brake after passing a speed camera the plate filps up for a few seconds avoiding being caught on film. :p

Another option is to have a proper plate for MOT and then put a little plate on when you leave, not entirely legal (cant condone etc) but you could claim it is a "show plate" although i do remember some arguements saying that the front plate is not as imperrative as the rear. This was some time ago but not sure what the current legislation is at present. :mellow:

I say we petition and oust all speed cameras and front number plates - problem solved then! :lol:

I better go im rambling now! :blink:

Stu

Guest alan rowe

hi Pidd

i got a £30 fine for having a small front plate - + I had to go round and show that the correct sizes plate had been fitted or they said I could be fined again (apparently up to £1000)

I used the correct sized letters and numbers but cut down the length so it looked right and nothing was said

I mounted it to the noze below the grill so that no air flow affected

Alan

Looks like something for Noddy and Big Ears to run around in - Sorry to the owners......

Im Sure Sam won't mind, you're not the first.

He has been nicknamed "Noddy" ever since Wales trip last year. Irish Bob even presented him with a model noddy car at Harrogate, and my wife's made him a hat to go with the car. :D :D :D

He's even signed post's on here as Noddy

see http://nw.rhocar.org./harrogate2003.htm

Mitch

He certainly gets out and about in it, he came to Wales with us last year (that's were the photo was taken) with his BIG friend Andy as ballast. He's also coming this year, but the car should have had a respray by then, in full Noddy colours!

There's a story to why it was multi-coloured last year. He built it, sprayed it up a nice red (all over) went through SVA, put it on the road, then prompty put it through a hedge!!! So it need a bit of repair! hence the different coloured panels.

He's a bloody nice lad, and I'm looking forward to seeing him again this year.

Guest Cantbearsed

:o Mr.Pidd Flatten your splitter !!!!! If it's directed upwards it will ENCOURAGE stones and crap up into the engine bay!

If its flat it acts like a wing or hydrofoil and you get a negative air effect one side of it which keeps the air flow over/across it directional which in turn draws all debris across it rather than allowing it to escape in any other direction.

If you get the current MINI MAGAZINE (yellow Mk3 on the front) and read Kieth Calvers section, you'll get a good idea of how splitters, spoilers, ducting and air flow works.

I don't swear by him as a rule but on this occasion I can't fault his reckoning! :p :p

Guest Bob Rowell

My S7 has a tube running round the front, useful for nudging things/cars etc without damaging the nose cone.

I quite like the idea of a stick on plate, but maybe after painting the car I will change my mind.

I wonder if it would be possible to mount a plate onto the front tube so as to give the same ground clearance as the sump. I would much rather replace a damaged plate!

post-5-1075330380.jpg

Guest Battery Bill

Mitch

He's even signed post's on here as Noddy

Noddy better watch out there is a bloke local who built himself a real "Noddy car" he dresses up and does charity events, Until Noddy owners threatened to take him to court for infringing copyright :lol: :lol: :lol: