Cracked Steering Shaft

Tazzzzman1

Hi,

Thought I'd take the car out for one last spin today (going on Sorn for the winter end of Sept) :cray:

Noticed a knocking through the steering.

On checking found that the modified lower steering column shaft (connecting to the rack) had a cracked weld. Looks like the shaft has been modified (I bought the kit part built) and a thinner section put in the middle. (will try and post some piccies...If I can find the damn batteries for the camera!). Lower part of shaft was almost free floating, virtually steering on friction fit....! :shok:

Guess the welds weren't up to much and have been stressed by the alternator occasionally hitting the shaft.

Pretty damn lucky, especially after reading the previous mails this week on steering issues. Dread to think what could have happened if I had not spotted it. :excl:

Guess another job to add to the winter list.

Managed 2000 miles this year, pretty much trouble free since SVA in April. Had a fantastic 6 mnths and can't wait till nxt spring and to meet up with you all again :yahoo:

Cheers Duncan,

Could so easily have ended in tears....

How's your car now. Did you get the engine sorted?

All things being equal i was due to get the car back this weekend. However its looking like next week now.

Sometimes its best not to rush things.

Anyway it should be running spot on when i get it back.

Dunc :db: