Powder Coating Booth?

Guest oddsocks

i know virtually nothing about Powder coating but if all you have to do is heat is it up to 170 (?) degrees c. could you not use a domestic Oven (If you only want a small booth). Probably not the one you have in the house, comes under the same 'not in the house' clause as degreesing parts in the bath. would be cheapish to pick up an old rubbishy one that only the oven bit works. just a thought.

Guest oddsocks
i know virtually nothing about Powder coating but if all you have to do is heat is it up to 170 (?) degrees c. could you not use a domestic Oven (If you only want a small booth). Probably not the one you have in the house, comes under the same 'not in the house' clause as degreesing parts in the bath. would be cheapish to pick up an old rubbishy one that only the oven bit works. just a thought.

I was thinking that but i want to powder coat my diff and gearbox and i dont think that i'll get them in the oven.

I'll have a look at that site-cheers for your replies. :)

When I get around to it ---- was going to use an old deep freeze cabinet with a smallish electric heater & 'stat. A query with your intended parts to be coated; will you need to completely strip diff & gearbox so as not to bugger any bearings/seals?

Guest oddsocks
When I get around to it ---- was going to use an old deep freeze cabinet with a smallish electric heater & 'stat. A query with your intended parts to be coated; will you need to completely strip diff & gearbox so as not to bugger any bearings/seals?

well that solves that problem then-guess im painting them!

Just going to powder coat calipers-i know they need a rebuild.

There are loads of plans out there on the web.

On the homemade front I've seen people using

A metal cupboard with a couple of heat guns (hot air paint stripping type things) ducted into it.

A bigger metal box with a false floor with a bunch of 1" holes drilled in it and a space-heater ducted into the cavity under the floor.

You also get the more serious home users who build a double skinned metal box with rock-wool between the skins and the elements/stat from a domestic oven. You can make the resulting oven quite a bit bigger than the original that you yoink the element from as even a domestic oven element has capacity to get the oven well above the required temp so it has no problems getting a significantly bigger volume up to "just" 170deg. You get all sorts of variations depending on what size/shape of things are going into it and heat distribution within the oven. Obviously the usual riders around messing with electrickery apply if you want to take it this far.

Iain