Pinto Flywheel Lightening

speedtripledan

Whist my car is in bits undergoing its winter mods/ tweaks i was thinking of having the flywheel lightened (i have a spare) how much weight do people take off in general ?

Just curious

The car is used for back road blasting and track so not bothered about any lose of cruising ability

Dan

Guest old_timbo

There is a drawing in one of the Pinto tuning books (Des Hamil?) that shows what you can do to the flywheel, but frankly I don't like the idea of playing around with a cast flywheel too much - I like my legs too much. So on mine I just had the rectangular cross section annular lump on the engine side of the flywheel machined-off flush with its root. This reduced the weight by several kilos, and as this bit of the flywheel is just a 'weight', actually reduces the stress. I wondered if the flywheel would need balancing afterwards, but no problems. In fact when on the rolling road I was asked if I had the engine balanced as it was so smooth.

The lighter flywheel made the engine much crisper and responsive. No need for the std. flywheel which was designed to help get moving a Sierra full of adults with a caravan on the back!

Tim

Guest scrabster

hi dan,ive done the same as old timbo,as it was done as i was building the car not as an after mod,i cant tell you what difference there is but as you say its supposed to make the throttle more responsive and crisper.i think tickover needs to be increased a bit aswell.

ive tried all afternoon to reduce pics of my black alloys with photobucket and faststone resizer but as im crap with computer i gave up before i slung pc through window.

jess.