Battery Cutout Switch

Guest Fred2b

The ECU relearns the value of the pot at closed and fully open throtle. It also attempts to learn the cold and warm coolent settings. If it cocks these up it is probably due to restarting the car with your foot on the acelerator or with a warm engine.

Starting with your foot on the acelerator will confuse the ECU, it will eventually figure out the temp problems.

ian

Guest Cantbearsed

;) I'm putting a switch on the black wire with the green tracer as when I got my donor car it had an imobiliser alarm fitted in there. As I got no fob or Plip thingy with the alarm, I had to trace all the connections and remove them to restore the loom to original. Wouldn't bloody start 'til I'd re-joined that wire (Sierra location: Driver's footwell/doorpost, behind side cover) and its QUITE a thick one. A friend in the know said it's the switched ignition circuit to the starter. Seems apropriate to me.....

.....Any contrary advice much appreciated as always. If anyone knows different, please stop me from electrocuting myself again....

rizla, any ideas why its doin it? looks like an efi sensor is faulty do yoyu think, really gets on me t1ts an would like to fix it

any way coincedence, theres a topic... for another time n place i guess... :ph34r:

Guest bryan_andrews

The ECU has one main task to perform, IE making sure the engine is running as efficiently as possible, since everybody drives in a slightly different way the range it has to cope with is huge, so, yes most if not all ECU's have the ability to learn how the vehicle is driven and adjust it's paramaters accordingly. However why do you want to kill the power to it?

For security all you need to do is kill the power to the starter, let's be honest, if a little scumbag car theif comes along to lift your pride and joy, he's either looking for a joy ride and wants to be able to get the thing started as quickly as possible and wont have the time or inclination to mess around...............or.............. he really wants your car, if this is the case he's probably planned ahead and has the time to figure out exactly whats going on. If they really want to steal it, they will.

Guest Battery Bill

Bryan

The main reason for "us" fitting a cutout switch is not really for security even though our key will not be obviously positioned or visible. We are fitting one so we can join the Big wires that are sitting where our (Cannot mention this item but its bloody heavy and will leak acid if you drop it) used to be :D :D

Coming back to what you say regarding the little scumbag, surely its just as off putting for him to have an isolation switch to the battery to contend with as it is to have one on the starter circuit? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. I think in the end I will probably put a hidden switch or one of those with a red key in the electric fuel pump circiut. That way the battery stays connected but the car won't start and an opportunist hopefully will not be arsed to find out why.

I agree that if they really want to take it, they will.

Fred :p

This is the "cut out switch" that I have fitted to my car.

As you can see, everything except the main feed to the starter, goes through this contact breaker, so any major overloads, and it will dis-engage. (60A, I think!) It also makes it easy when working on the car, you just push the button to switch off all the juice, instead of keep taking the battery lead off.

I've just found it. It came from MAPLIN part number. DR91Y and cost £9-99p

Jim

post-8-1076851604.jpg

Sorry Billy-boy, Mutley found where I'd got it from meanwhile, so I just went back into an edited my post. (Didn't want to just keep clocking up posts for the sake of it, unlike some that we know. :rolleyes: ...........No, I don't mean you!) :)