Mp3 Questions

Guest SMR610

Hi,

I know this subject has been done before and I have searched through the forum

but I`m still a little unclear as to what is needed so I`m hoping someone can give

me the definitive answer.(anyone kind enough to advise please bare in mind stereo

systems aren`t my forte)

I want to run an MP3 player in my Hood but wired straight to an amplifier not through

a head unit, would like some advice as to how to wire it up and also which type MP3

player and amplifier I would need, if you want to suggest which make and model of

these I should get even better make my life even easier.

As usual any help given most appreciated

Cheers

Allan

Guest youngsterS3

I was thinking of doing the same, but decided that an amp and speakers(I never found a specific amp) to take a line in from my phone/mp3 player was an expensive option and wasn't worth the risk. ie too on show,

I found this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=370249204566

(12V FM MOTORCYCLE RADIO,WATERPROOF SPEAKER, MP3 IPOD )

which is not a huge system, but cheap enough for me to put in and not worry about. I haven't tried it yet at speed, but is plenty loud enough for 30 - 40mph. ( when it was either on the passenger seat or falling of the centre tunnel in front of the gear stick!) Any faster and I think the wind / exhaust noise takes over anyway.

Chris

That actually looks quite good and mega cheap.

When I put a stereo in my Mini I was after the same sort of thing as it's not really got a space for a traditional head-unit so I've installed speakers and used a pair of T-Amps. T-amps are digital amplifiers rather than analogue and the sound you can get from a really dinky little device has to be heard to be believed. I pulled them apart and re-boxed the circuit boards in a single package from Maplin with the inputs on the rear and controls for each amp on the front (I wanted two . I then have a single wire with a 3.5mm jack plug behind the dashboard which I can pull out and attach to my phone, MP3/whatever. The box the amps are in is maybe 2"x1.5"x3.5" and fastened to the bottom of the heater. The only reason I left it visible was so that I could reach the volume controls and power switch but with the benefit of hindsight I would have been better sticking a switch in the power lead and having the box hidden altogether as I never touch it now I've set the balance and just use the volume control on the audio device instead. I used two amps because I wanted 4 speakers and they are stereo devices so one runs the rear speakers and the second runs the fronts - if I could have mounted just two speakers somewhere more central then I would have run just the one and left it in it's factory casing.

I've had a quick look on ebay and I can't see the same version I used but there are many second generation devices which already come in a square box and if you can live with two speakers then you wouldn't have to mess around with taking the things apart.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TA2020-20WX2-Class-T...=item2a03f4ac01

Same sort of money as the radio but it is purely an amplifier so you would need a pair of speakers and some wiring but it could easily be lost up under the dash with just a lead to wherever you want the MP3/Phone to sit and a switch somewhere so you can kill the power.

Iain

Ahh. A subject dear to my heart! :D

I do like my toons.

I bought an Amp and a set of speakers to go with it from Maplins.

If you want the actual make & model number, let me know and I'll dig it out.

The amp is bolted to the bulkhead behind the passenger seat.

The speakers are fitted into the top of the boot. You can just see them in this pic.

Probably not the best place with hindsight, but you're struggling for options really. If I were to fit them again I'd have found somwhere under the dash.

Anyway, I blew up my first pair of speakers, so bought some more that were a bit more powerfull. These blew up too, so now I have a pair @ 400w

These are good! :D

My ipod simply plugs into a socket on the dash, which feeds into the amp. Works well.

Basically though, you're struggling really. Even on my set-up, anything over 50-60mph and your best off with earphones.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. I doubt the ones on eBay for £16 would cut the mustard.

HTH.

I've just got one of those mini amps off ebay, paid less then £9 so not bothered if it doesn't work out but it also has 5v output (usb) which I plan to run the gps aswell. Just found the card in the post box to say they tried to deliver so will pick up tomorrow and test.

If it works well enough for round town (no chance above 50mph) it will do, was stuck for 3hrs with only the voices in my head the other week so anything is a bonus.

Thanks very much for all the info gives me something

to think about, had a quick look on Ebay now that I`ve

got an idea what I need quite a few interesting little

amps available.

Can anyone recommend an MP3 player, simply after

something I can stick my CD collection onto?

Thanks again

Allan

Would this do the job, Ebay item: 130359847908.

if so could I store my music on a USB stick and

play it through this machine.

Forgive me if I`m talking b****cks technology

for me peaked in the Eighties I`m still trying to

get used to those new fangled CD thingies :D

Allan

I picked my mini amp up from post depot today and its actually quite good!

just hooked it up in the house to a couple of surround sound speakers and my ipod and it can go louder then I can stand and isn't getting hot either.

pic.

post-3623-1264010406_thumb.jpg

build quality not brill but I'm going to stick it out of sight anyway.

It has volume, bass, trebble, sub volume and phono jack on the front.

on the back it has 12v dc in on/off switch, usb output (5v) speaker left & right out and sub out and RCA in.

that amp you have seen looks similar but with the input of usb and sd cards etc, you should be able to use a pen drive with the mp3s on and just stick it in.

for less then £30 I'd get it just to see if it works how you intend to use it, if it doesn't give it to someone as a prezzy :D