1.6 Pinto

Guest benham

Hi all,

The 2B I'm helping to build is going to have a tempoary 1.6 fitted for the build, and the SVA, with the plans to fit a Zetec at a later date, so the Pinto is only a tempory engine.

Do you need to shorten the sump for this engine, my friend is inclined not to do it, but I don't know. Are there any regs with regards to the SVA and floor to sump clearence?

Regards,

Andy

Andy

The standard sump is fine for the SVA / IVA as long as they can get the car on the rollers for the brake test. But is next to useless for road use, grounds out for the fun off it mine lasted for about 100 miles

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?show...183&hl=sump

NW hoodies site gives an excellent wirte up on shorting the sump.

Steve

Guest chris brown
Hi all,

The 2B I'm helping to build is going to have a tempoary 1.6 fitted for the build, and the SVA, with the plans to fit a Zetec at a later date, so the Pinto is only a tempory engine.

Do you need to shorten the sump for this engine, my friend is inclined not to do it, but I don't know. Are there any regs with regards to the SVA and floor to sump clearence?

Regards,

Andy

There are no regs as to ground clearance but be warned even the smallest speed humps will hit the sump if it is not shortened

My friend was under the impression the 1.6 sat "higher" up in the engine bay, so would have a bit more clearence than the 2.0.

Thanks for your help everybody, better dig the welder out!

Regards,

Andy

Guest chris brown
My friend was under the impression the 1.6 sat "higher" up in the engine bay, so would have a bit more clearence than the 2.0.
No it is on the same engine mounts so sits exactly the same

i think hes probably thinking of the 2 types of 1.6

I believe the earlier 1.6 had a shorter stroke and i think is slightly shorter than the later 1.6 which is the same hieght as the 1.8 and 2.0 and shared the same stroke. As said though they all sit at the same level at the bottom on the mountings.

If it is short enought though you may be able to put some spaceers on the mounts and lift it a bit if it doesn't touch the bonnet.

i ran mine for a long time without shortening my sump but eventually gave it a bang and had to shorten it. The worst things i found were places on the road where you drop down on the suspension and before it has chance to lift you back up it touches a high spot in the road. You can often see scrap marks from others cars on the road and you will start to watch the road more carefully when you drive on of these.

hth