Driving Holiday ...

Guest Ian Marr

Driving in the States  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Ian Marr

Ally and I are thinking about a summer or early autumn holiday in America for later this year. :fool:

We have never been to the States, but quite fancy seeing a few different places and people. :hi:

I've fancied hiring an AC Cobra and touring the West Coast for a while, but I know there will be loads of other suggestions and I am sure some of you will have your own ideas, experiences and twists on a 'fly-drive'. 8) :ph34r:

Now is your time to share your thoughts and dreams ...

(I've played about with poll function as well - first attempt did not allow those not having been to USA to complete poll)

My son made a Trek America road trip from Chicago to San Francisco a couple of years ago. He visited a lot of intersting places along the way, but the highlights were the National Parks i.e. Moab, Arches, Grand Canyon, Death Valley and Yosemitie. I'd like to repeat his trip. Could be expensive in a Cobra! Have you worked out a budget for your trip?

Guest Ian Marr

Not really thought about budget - all in tours (adventure/walking/etc, flight inc but not driving) are around £2k/person for 15ish days and are holding our interest - but these things are bit pot luck with regard to the people you get in the group.

We looked at the National Parks Steve and quite fancy that B)

Speed limit is a bit naff, but that's the States I guess - side question does a speeding fine get you UK points or just 3 years in US jail and a lifetime ban from returning to their 'wee island' :o ?

There is an article in Kitcar mag this month about hiring in British Columbia and that looks interesting, but the guy is linked to Kitcar and has a limited number of cars at the moment (£700/week car hire :rofl: )

Guest TerryBarry

I drove in Arizona a few years ago. Speed limits varied and some roads were as high as 75 mph, others 65 mph . These drop a lot lower in towns.

Also driven in Mass. spelt Massachusetts, and it's a commonwealth. Speed limit there is 55 mph max but most people seem to ignore it - apart from the State Troopers etc.

Hire a Cobra - that could be fairly expensive.

I used to drive around in the equivalent to a Mondeo - but was upgraded to a Pontiac Grand Am in AZ great fun :D !! :D

You might be able to get a reasonable deal on a new Mustang.

We are in Florida right now. Driving these roads is a dream

smooth straight wide lanes heaven. Speeds are 65 but in reality

it's the same as uk 70,80 and more. Cruise control is so easy too.

Done 2000 miles in just over a week.

California stAte parks are cool. Yosemite offers the most breathtaking

views I have ever seen.

Now the best thing in all is that you can turn right on a red light as long

as you stop completely first. Makes life so much easier.

Andi

I drove From New York To LA with a mate way back in 1984 Year of the LA Olympics. Only cost was petrol.

Highlight's were. Washington, route 66, Dallas standing where Kennedy got shot, The grand canyon, LA film studios and meeting the Cars owner a retired Hollywood set designer, he let us hold his Oscar. :D

They lived in New York 6 months and LA 6 and flew We shipped / drove the car.

Great fun.

Stephen

Guest Ian Marr

'84 trip sounds like a good memory maker Steve. When I win the lottery I'll take a few months and do something similar :search: . Always fancied going East to West - one day maybe :good:

Did driving in a week and did not have a flight booked back to New York.

Spent 2 nights a LA X getting a bucket flight back!!

Read the contract one night and had to disconect the speedo at Grand canyon as had gone over miles allowed !! OOps

Stephen

Guest Ian Marr

Humm ... got me thinking Steve. Always assumed a trip across America (or atleast route 66) would need atleast 3 weeks, but this might be manageable at around 200 miles/day in two weeks (I could get 3 weeks, but Ally is less flexible). :unknw:

Don't want to be a slave to a timetable, but do want to draw in a host of sights n sounds.

I can feel hours of internet research ahead :shok:

Humm ... got me thinking Steve. Always assumed a trip across America (or atleast route 66) would need atleast 3 weeks, but this might be manageable at around 200 miles/day in two weeks (I could get 3 weeks, but Ally is less flexible). :unknw:

Don't want to be a slave to a timetable, but do want to draw in a host of sights n sounds.

I can feel hours of internet research ahead :shok:

Went to the states in 1994 for world cup hoping to see England LOL!. Started from San Francisco to Montery 115miles then to Bishop via Yosemite. Bishop via Death Valley to Las Vegas.Vegas to Grand Canyon then Scottsdale 225 miles then to Palm Springs 411 miles Palm Springs to San Diego then to Los Angeles (Anaheim)Stayed at my mate's for a week then home from LA. A fantastic holiday enjoyed by all eleven of us in 3 cars.Vic

last time in the US was hawaii, in a lovely mustang convertible. great fun. other than that its been on the mainland in hyundais and fords. easy place to drive though, so much space. see if you can find an NSRA meet when you're there. my first trip alone to the states five hours after landing i was at a hod rod show. quite an intrduction!

been to the states 4 times now each time arrainged flights and picked up a camper at the other end .

when last there found the only roundabout in florida , great fun to see the yanks try to negotiate it .

the roads generally are good , a few toll roads , but generally easy to move arround .

last time we went we flew into atlanta because we couldnt get a flight into florida . the journey was about 450 miles to our destination and we easily did it in a day .

at most of the theme parks the camper has the best spot to park , dont know why ?

if you are going to use a camper beware of the contract thoe miliage restrictions ect , they try to sell you the smaller miliage package so when you go over you are shafted on the cost .

i love the states and would go back tomorrow .

but the bank has other ideas at the mo .

graham

Guest scrabster

hi, havent been to the states myself,unless you count going over the bridge from niagara falls into american part of falls,still had to have a visa though.anyway mate at work did the west coast highway 1 and part of route 66 last year on harleys.he said if he were to go again he would look at itineries of some of the tour operators and hire a bike somewhere else and use their route.it cost him a fortune as it had to be a group booking and some people dropped out at last minute and the rest of the group had to share the extra cost. :o i fancy the new zealand camper hire trip but need a lottey win to fund that one.

jess.