Pinto Efi Ecu And Bike Carbs

ozz

Hi all

Don't know if i should be celebrating or not?

When I fitted engine and loom I intended to use the efi so fitted the ecu etc.

The efi plenum did not fit so converted to bike carbs.

decided to save up for megajolt and whilst building try to run the engine on the tfi limp home mode which my research says gives 10 degrees of advance.

So today I've run the engine with the ecu (eec iv) the TPS connected to the bike carbs, the standard non vac advance injection dizzy (bosch hall effect) set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC.

When I rev up to 3000 rpm the timing advances steadily up to a max of about 40 degrees (I'm guessing here as only have a basic timing light and have not marked out crank pulley yet).

Now my question is does this sound like limp home mode or could my ecu be controlling the ignition advance like its supposed to.

Any Thoughs?

Andrew.

I did the very same when i converted to bike carbs i left the ecu etc from the efi and it ran perfectly well, in fact it had the same peak power as when i put a full bestek setup on (dyno,d before and after) the only difference i found was mid range the bestek gave far more mid range torque

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Vindi_andy

If I can butt in here, is this a SOHC or a twincam.

What sort of increase does it give in power.

Currently running a twincam as standard but would ike a little more power and if bike carbs will run on standard ecu then happy day just got to source some carbs

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Robin Allison

The SOHC eec-iv should not go into limp mode, its too old for that type of operation. Only the EDIS kitted ecu will do that. I belive it runs 2d maps for fuel and ignition. So basicly without the flowmeter the injection will not work, but the ignition will. Its the same with the Dohc, but that has the advantage of using a map sensor. So that can still be plugged in.

A m8 runs an RS2000 mk5 on R1 carbs. It revs 8500rpm. Although it did throw a rod out the block last year :rolleyes:

Guest Vindi_andy

soory to sound stoopid here but im not an engine man but if i read this right in theory I can put bike carbs on my Ford Twincam using the oringinal ECU thereby gain some horse without having to get an aftermarket ignition set up.

What about the ISCV on the air intake? what do I do with that if fitting bike carbs. any suggestions as to what carbs to go for?

Sorry for hijack to OP but this sounds very interesting

soory to sound stoopid here but im not an engine man but if i read this right in theory I can put bike carbs on my Ford Twincam using the oringinal ECU thereby gain some horse without having to get an aftermarket ignition set up.

What about the ISCV on the air intake? what do I do with that if fitting bike carbs. any suggestions as to what carbs to go for?

Sorry for hijack to OP but this sounds very interesting

Don,t know about the twincam but my sohc pinto was fine with the original ignition the airflow meter injectors etc just disconnected and it ran fine the only issue was the static timing needed to be 12deg which pushed the high rev timing beyond what it needed

The only thing i would say is it sounds easy but to get it right you may need a dyno etc mine cost me close to £600 with all the bits and bats you need and dyno run

The SOHC eec-iv should not go into limp mode, its too old for that type of operation.

It does have a limp home mode, with static ignition advance.

Guest Robin Allison
I can put bike carbs on my Ford Twincam using the oringinal ECU .

Yes to the first one. You will need to make sure the old sensors are used. The Map sensor will need to be connected to the inlet, all the runners. Via a 1 to 2mm hole for each one. TPS need to be fitted.

The second one is your choise. Either don't use it, but it may need to be connected electricly. Not sure if it has a fault code for it. Or try and connect it with some pipework to all runners. Caution though as if the pipe bore is too big it will affect the idle.