Ex01 Exhaust Can

Guest AdrianH

Guest AdrianH

The standard EX01 being a sealed unit is not something you seem to be able to open up and repack, and it is quite short I guess compared with some other cans.

Has anyone managed to baffle the exhaust to reduce the noise a bit?

1800 cc CVH passed IVA with noise figure of 96 dBA, but noisy on runs so could do with a bit of reduction.

Adrian

Guest Alan_builder
The standard EX01 being a sealed unit is not something you seem to be able to open up and repack, and it is quite short I guess compared with some other cans.

Has anyone managed to baffle the exhaust to reduce the noise a bit?

1800 cc CVH passed IVA with noise figure of 96 dBA, but noisy on runs so could do with a bit of reduction.

Adrian

Tricky Dickie made a spider to stuff down the ehaust pipe to reduce the noise for SVA. It was a 4 or 6 legged piece of stainless steel, legs splayed to catch on a join in the exhaust pipe.

Hope that info helps. Of course you could open up the can and reweld after repacking, make the hole on the underneath to back.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

Guest youngsterS3

Hi

I used a couple of stainless pan scourers(3 i think) and a stainless sink strainer, just shoved the scourers up towards the 4-1 section and then the sink strainer to prevent them being blown out. -- noise now down to about 96db, from if I remember ~105.. higher than an sva requirement anyway.

I took them out straight after passing as I wasn't sure how much/bad an impact this would have on the airflow and thus the running of the engine.

after 1500 miiles it is beginning to get a tad noisy, so I may have to do something myself.

Guest mower man

As I've said before bin the RH can and fit a repackable ok they are more expensive but you get what you pay for, as for comfort they improve things imeasurably but you probably have some hearing probs like most of the rest of us any way eh mower man :p :crazy: :clapping:

Guest jetskijase

I cut a letter box out at the back out of view. filled with loose wadding and used stainless pop rivets and exhaust gunk to seal it up using a sheet of stainless.

needs doing again though i think!

There was a member that welded 2 small metal plates in the perforated tube oppposite each other (half way across the tube) so that instead of a straight through it had to go around like driving through an s bend, not sure the effect.

simplest way is to wear ear plugs, and it will also save your hearing in the long term from both the exhaust noise and wind noise.

Otherwise you can cut a section out of the back of the box, repack it with new wadding and then reseal with a new piece of stainless rivited or screwed in place and a good dose of sealant.

As you say its a bit on the small side and you could replace it with something larger, but you're looking at upwards of £100

Guest AdrianH

Stevedohc2b has just sent me a link to the summer boys in hood magazine and there is an article on packing or repacking the exhaust, by cutting a hole in the side and sealing up afterwards. I joined late October so never came across the article.

Thanks Steve.

That leads me on to a question before I think of doing anything so drastic. Is the silencer packed as supplied or is it empty, as I have only done around 600 miles i would not expect it to need re-packing, but if supplied empty?

I was thinking of adding two half disks on a rod down the centre to try and put more flow onto the expansion box, but appreciate it will restrict the box slight;y.

mowerman

What have you used, a bike silencer perhaps or an off the shelf product?

Adrian

Sorry missed a few posts there while I replied to mower man Jetskijase that idea of the disks is what I was thinking of.

im afraid the packing soon gets blown out adrian, i repacked mine twice, then went to a westfield silencer, which was fine for another year, but thats getting loud now, as steve says, if your not intending to spend 100 quid plus on a new one, its ear plugs im afraid

Mitch

Guest AdrianH
im afraid the packing soon gets blown out adrian, i repacked mine twice, then went to a westfield silencer, which was fine for another year, but thats getting loud now, as steve says, if your not intending to spend 100 quid plus on a new one, its ear plugs im afraid

Mitch

I would probably spend the £100 to be honest, it is nice having a loud pedal but after a while gets a bit much for the passenger on any run. Also starting to do autosolo's soon and don't want to be a noise pest.

Going to try a baffle first and see how it does.

Should be there Thursday in car of weather dry.

Adrian

Guest mower man

Adrian I bought a silencer from MK , it's prob 2x bigger than the orig can , it what they reccomend for 2.0 pintoand cost me 130 quid ,I ve had to repack it after blowing a piston [it filled with oil ] and have found it is abs fab . six pop rivets and some steel wool [stainless ] and some roof ins ,job done,HTH mower man :yahoo: :good: :search:

Guest AdrianH
i bought a zx6 stainless can £20 from breakers new end pipe £20 from custom chrome and put a washer in the end its repackable,job done was quoted £180 for new can..

Now that's low cost.

What I could do with is a list of all dimensions of bike cans, guess it is simple get along tp a bike breakers with a tape measure

Adrian

Guest mower man

I'm sorry but I thought you wanted to get it quieter !, a bike can may do this but it will possibly cut performace,because it has not got the capacity !.The silencer I got from MK is over 2 feet in length and just under 6" dia with a2"+ tail pipe all s/s you could also get o/heating prob's I say could! many will not agree basicly try a bike can it MAY work but I would personaly put my hand a little deeper in my pocket and get it right first time HTH mower man :huh: :unknw: :good: :p