Distributor Or Carb?

Guest scudoman

Guest scudoman

Hi there.

My 2 litre Pinto won't run with the vacuum pipe connected!

Its connected beneath the choke housing (dgav manual) to the distributor....is this right? It will start but stall if the throttle is touched. :o

The other vacuum pipes go to the crankcase breather, brake servo, vac. guage and the 2 connections on the inlet manifold side of the carb. to something beneath the manifold. (whats it for??)

Any ideas....it was like it when I bought it but don't think its right somehow!!

All suggestions welcome. Tony

on mine the servo conects below the stepper motor to the right, the breather connects to manifold just to the right of centre and the dissy connects to the left. do you have a one way valve? it should have an arrow or carb witten on it from memorey, might have it wrong way round.

post-3623-1269283048_thumb.jpg

edit: pic found

Edited by Jamiep

Hi mate

I'm sure we can help but we need a few more details regarding your set up - there are so may different variations. Mine is a 2.0 205 block from 1987 and the vac pipe from the carb connects directly to the ECU (ESCII system)......

Guest scudoman
Hi mate

I'm sure we can help but we need a few more details regarding your set up - there are so may different variations. Mine is a 2.0 205 block from 1987 and the vac pipe from the carb connects directly to the ECU (ESCII system)......

In reply for info. mine is an '88 engine going by the engine number with a 205 block. I don't know if its got an ECU if so I don't know where it is situated.

It does not have points (brown top dist. cap...Boosh I think).

Do you you have 2 pipes going to the base of the inlet manifold; one from the base of the carb. and the other from the low vac. enrichment diaphragm?

My carb. is different than the one pictured by JAMIEP, its off a 2 litre (up to 1985) according to the Haynes manual.

Guest scudoman
on mine the servo conects below the stepper motor to the right, the breather connects to manifold just to the right of centre and the dissy connects to the left. do you have a one way valve? it should have an arrow or carb witten on it from memorey, might have it wrong way round.

post-3623-1269283048_thumb.jpg

edit: pic found

My carb appears to be a different one to you....I think yours is a later model. Thanks anyway. Tony

Guest scudoman
I think mines off a 1600, don't know why as the engine is 2.0l 205 block :unknw:

I'm not sure......I'll check the manual.

Edited by paintman

Guest scudoman

:rolleyes:

I think mines off a 1600, don't know why as the engine is 2.0l 205 block :unknw:

No, yours looks like a 2 litre weber but a later model than mine (mid '85 onwards).

Has anyone got photos or could take some of the vacuum pipe positions on an early DGAV 2 litre (square intakes), noting which goes to the distributor etc. I would be very grateful.

Tony, do you have one of the vacuum hoses connecting through a valve under the manifold, the valve in turn has a coolant hose running through it? This was some speed control for one of the Ford carbs I think. A dgav normally has one or two vacuum take offs one is for the dizzy the other for the love valve, low vacuum enrichment if it has one. Try disconnecting any other ones, blocking the holes if they are on the carb. The servo and crank case breather just go into the manifold

Guest scudoman
Tony, do you have one of the vacuum hoses connecting through a valve under the manifold, the valve in turn has a coolant hose running through it? This was some speed control for one of the Ford carbs I think. A dgav normally has one or two vacuum take offs one is for the dizzy the other for the love valve, low vacuum enrichment if it has one. Try disconnecting any other ones, blocking the holes if they are on the carb. The servo and crank case breather just go into the manifold

I'll give it a try when I get the car running....I just changed the camshaft on Sat. and haven't got it back together yet. Sounds worth a try though.

I got 2 pipes going to a valve under the manifold....one from the "love valve" and the other directly from the bottom of the carb. chamber (inside under the butterfly) of the main choke side.

The pipe to the dizzy is coming off the carb. at the base under the choke housing. (manual choke now.)......is this right???

Edited by paintman

I got 2 pipes going to a valve under the manifold....one from the "love valve" and the other directly from the bottom of the carb. chamber (inside under the butterfly) of the main choke side.

The pipe to the dizzy is coming off the carb. at the base under the choke housing. (manual choke now.)......is this right???

The one to the dizzy sounds right, connect the other straight to the love valve, ignore the bit under the manifold.

Guest scudoman
The one to the dizzy sounds right, connect the other straight to the love valve, ignore the bit under the manifold.

So your saying leave the one to the dizzy and then connect a pipe from the love valve to the inlet manifold, blanking off the valve under the manifold.....right?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mower man

Hi my38 dgas is piped up as the last post and works ok only slight prob being the engine is very temp sensitive ,flatspots and near cutouts untill warm atouch of man choke cures it once the tempgauge starts to rise push the choke off every thing fine HTH mowerman :good: :yahoo: :)