And Then It Went Bang

Guest Christine
Hi,

A loud "pop" water and steam everywhere and here's the culprit

post-1031-1270904911_thumb.jpg

Has anyone ever had this happen, or have any ideas why?

Many Thanks

Nige

A few years ago on a For Cortina I had the hose burst, which I replaced then the rad went, it turned out to be (This may not be your case) :unknw: the Head gasket which was pressurising the coolant system.

Garry

Edited by Garry

Probably air lock then as steam expands to fill the gap pressure builds up and if the pipe is weaker than the radiator cap it will give out first

I hope it's this. I had just changed the water pump and because the way the radiator is plumbed, it is a pain to bleed.

the Head gasket which was pressurising the coolant system.

I hope it's not this :( . The engine has hardly run with since the head gasket was fitted.

Fingers crossed, thanks for the replies.

Nige

Nigel,

what have you done?

Hope it's not serious, you have had the engine running before haven't you? Will have to try and get round to your place soon for a catch up, only just got back from a week trip to Detling and the east coast

Steve

Guest MarkB

had it happen to me on an xr3i, the right hand core of the radiator exploded, ripping the core off and puking its extremly hot water out. Unfortunatly i was underneath the car doing an MOT i got 1st 2nd and 3rd degree burns down my back, the car got a fail ticket

Guest mower man

Hi air locks are probably one of the biggest pains with pinto engines even in std fitment i.e. cortinas onward , I see from your photo the rad is mounted almost horizontaly ,where is the filler etc is it well higher than the engine ? if so bleeding , should be straight foward but you could poss improve things by putting a bleed valve in the corner of the rad in the photo and allthough expensive consider fitting silicon hoses I have not regreted putting them on my S7 HTH mower man :good: :clapping:

Guest Botbuilder
Hi,

A loud "pop" water and steam everywhere and here's the culprit

post-1031-1270904911_thumb.jpg

Has anyone ever had this happen, or have any ideas why?

Many Thanks

Nige

Hi.

I think you will find that type of hose is used for suction pipes and is not really designed to used for pressure systems. It looks like the stuff with a wire core running through it and is generally used on pump intake systems, the internal wire core is to stop it collapsing under vacuum. I used it once on an old Audi and the same thing happened.

Alan

Guest chris brown

I have never liked that convoluted hose the times I have come across it doing just that. Change it for proper hose you may have to root around a bit to get one with the bend you want but it will be worth it in the long run.

Guest Ian & Carole
I have never liked that convoluted hose the times I have come across it doing just that. Change it for proper hose you may have to root around a bit to get one with the bend you want but it will be worth it in the long run.

B) Had those hoses on mine since the build in '03 as supplied by halfrauds. B)

Providing they are not under tension then they are fine IMHO I have never had issues with them, but like I say ther must be NO tention in the bends just the natural curve.