Big Thanks To Born In A Barn

Guest loopyonion

Guest loopyonion

Just want to say a big thanks to Mike aka "Born in a barn" for coming out today to have a pre iva check on my S7. Its great to have another pair of eyes, and he did spot a number of errors on my part, of which are now taken care of.

Still got a clutch cable bracket to make, and also a better battery holder.

Horn button is moved just to be safe, new oil filter from 2wd cosworth to give more clearance to the engine mounting.

More radius work to the front end and cycle wings completed :) Padded ther inside of the track rod ends covers as described.

Brake lines tweaked away from the manifold more, and heat wrap to the system

New baffled alloy fuel tank tommorow from Alloy fabrications delivered at £114.00 :) Pictures to follow!

Oh, Oil change, and ahem.. road test again.:)

As for the wing mirrors, we shall see what mr inspector says about them ;), but i do have one final question.. looking at the picture below, the area between the nose cone and chassis where the steering rack resides, when they test with the mushroom, is it only from a frontal direction, as if its contactable at 30 degrees from a frontal direction, with a 100mm sphere, then the steering rack, knuckle, and mechanism are in the line of fire.

Thanks once again!

http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/ad351/l...0_1600x1200.jpg

Cheers

Looking good, but check with the sva/iva peeps about thickness of tube allowed for the roll over bar, as i think but not sure that the one supplied no longer is bigger enough dia tubing to pass the test,

sorry for negativity but if its case its easier to sort now than after a possible fail,

good luck and maybe we will see you at the northwest meets very soon

Mitch

Guest kleighton

Looking good there Loopy, good luck for the test.

Mitch, are you specifically referring to the bolt on roll over bars used on the monocoque chassis cars ?

Anyone fancy helping with a pre-IVA inspection on mine ?

Thanks

Keith

Guest loopyonion

Ah, photo 28.. changed since pictures. I have a cover over the rear top wishbone bolt, and it covers the brake line mount as well.. The cap head 6mm Allen bolt has been changed to a dome head.

The area in question im stuck on is behing the nose cone, to the chassis. ( i have a solution though, but i will mock up some panels.)

The fuel tank arrived this afternoon, its awesome. Baffled inside, new sender unit added, and just fitting now! Pics when i can get round to it. £114 delivered ;)

Guest loopyonion

Mitch, are you specifically referring to the bolt on roll over bars used on the monocoque chassis cars ?

Thanks

Keith

I would gladly help someone with a pre iva check, but I think I shall wait until mines been tested. That way, it's not the blind leading the blind (excuse the saying ;) )

I'm in st helens so only about 20 mins away.

Hopefully test within the next week or two. I asked for a short notice. :)

Guest shaggy

Thanks

Keith

Come on Keith, we've kicked your tyres, eaten the hob nobs and taken the piss loads of times, but more than happy to do it again :D . Do you have a date now?

Si

Guest kleighton

I think I must be at a similar point to yo Loopy, my application has gone in, payment has been made (I ticked the ASAP box on the form too), I'm just waiting for the technical team to have a look at my application now....I'll probably hear something this week about lack of photos from the donor car or something.

You're all more than welcome, I'm free on Saturday (24th) if you're free, Simon I take it you won't want any hob nobs then ?? ;) :o :p

Your car doesnt need a roll over bar to be legal, but if your seat belts bolt to a cross bar welded in make sure it is strong enough for the job (as chunky as possible and correct hight for belt location). Also as the belts bolt to the rollbar it needs bolting down properly. I had some 6mm thick discs welded into the bottom of the main hoop with captive m12 nuts in them bolted through the boot floor with strengthening plates. m12 bolts for the rear stays through the supplied seat belt angle triangulated with tubing into the suspension angle. I also used the U bolts with packing between hoop and the boot sides, so they can be bolted hard onto the rear suspension pick up angle. In this way the rollover bar becomes a stress member holding the rear end together. Car looks brilliant, good job. ps: Where the top of the rear shocks mount I bolted a piece of angle either side of the top eye bolt to make a T profile onto the boot side. I have also seen cars with tubing between the upper seat belt mounts and the rear seat stay bolts. Sorry if I am rambling on, Spanner