My Good Ladies Greenhouse

Guest Angel Boy

Guest Angel Boy

My good lady has gone and got herself a greenhouse. I think she has seen me retreat to the garage to many times when the kids have had some artificial colouring mixed with sugar given to them by some well meaning relations. The place she wants to put it in the garden has a fairly uneven laid concrete area. We both know very little about greenhouses so does the base have to be sealed to the floor to stop ingress of water/insects etc? Is it just a simple case of getting some wall anchor bolts and fixing the whole lot to the floor and not worry about it?

We have toyed with the idea of laying some paving slabs we have on top of the concrete base to make it nice and level and then attaching the greenhouse on top but I'm a little concerned that as soon as you start drilling the hole into the paver to anchor the whole lot down, it'll just crack.

Thoughts, advice etc welcome please.

TIA

Andy

assuming its proper glass panels, the base needs to be square and levl, else the door wont shut properly

when i bought mine, they wanted to sell me the galvenised base to go with it, whhich was just a bent bit of sheet steel, that wobbled in the breeze

make a frame from 2" angle, and bolt/grout that to the floor, you cant go wrong

Ours is on top of some uneven paving slabs. I used some decking on it's side - attached the greenhouse to this, and then attached the decking to the slaps. Drilling the slabs was fine. Benefit of this is that the green house is fitted to a flat surface an that it raises it so that I can stand up properly in it!

Guest peter2b2002

when I put my wife's greenhouse up I used railway sleepers as a base, but that was on a soil base but it should work on concrete, as said before the base has to be level other wise the frame will twist and the glass won't fit

peter2b

Guest Stuartl

I have put up a few greenhouses (dont ask!)

The base has to be perfectly square and level or the frame wont go together properly and the sliding door wont work.

Find out from the instructions what the OUTSIDE dimensions of the base need to be.

Construct a frame to those dimensions from 3x2" sawn treated timber.

Fix a 'leg' in each corner and halfway along the sides approx 300mm long (or longer on soft ground)

Dig out holes for the legs and pour in a 6:1 Ballast to cement mix, fairly dry into the holes ensuring that the frame is kept level and square.

Next day assemble the greenhouse then infill the base with soil/slabs as required. It is easy to secure the frame to timber.

If you assemble it on bedded slabs, as soon as they move the greenhouse will do too and risk cracking glass and the door not sliding properly

Hope this helps! :D