Camber Adjustment Required?

harvs

Hi

I've got the standard zeemeride shocks on my superspec. When one of the back wheels goes over a pothole / bump the car seems jiggle - with what feels like a sideways movement. (obviously going over a bump, the car's going to move, but I'd expect to feel an up & down movement at the side of the pothole - not the whole car twisting left & right...)

I've been reading that quite a few people fit camber wedges to reduce the amount of negative camber.

Just wondered if this is likely to improve the 'jiggle' I'm getting, or if I should be looking at some other cause?

Cheers

Harvs

Guest woolly

sounds correct.

mine had a jiggle going over wet manhole covers, reduced the negative toe in and all well.

just make double sure that you don't leave it with any toe out.

woolly

Guest old_timbo

Yup! I recon it's rear end bump steer caused by too much toe in. I had the same issue. Can really feel it when one wheel moves more than the other.

Tim

Hi James,

I've had this issue and sorted it.

Here's a Clicky, but not much to go on in there.

Basically, get the car onto level ground and do some measuring.

I made some washers out of some various pieces of Stainless and used them as shims behind the four bolts each side that fix the axles/brake backplate to the subframe thingamywhatsitcalled.

Note that a 0.7mm shim will throw the wheel rim nearly 2mm, or something like that I can't remember now.

I had too much Toe-in, so had to shim the front two bolts and too much camber so shimmed the top two bolts.

HTH?

Thanks Grizzly

Using washers sounds like an interesting idea. As you say, it'll allow adjustment to both camber and toe-in. Plus, you can keep adjusting them if required until it's set up right.

I'll get my calculator out and brush up on my trigonometry!

Cheers

Harvs

Guest woolly

i used standard guages (but the readings are the wrong way round ) and washers downside to washers is tht if you take to bits again and forget they are there. you get this tinkle sound and you have to start again

woolly

Hi Harvs,

There was someone selling pairs of ally camber wedges (i think it was Peter Bell) for the Sierra rear end.

Either remove the rear hub assembly to fit, or alternatively, (and easier ;) ) cut in half and fit each half in turn by removing the corresponding bolts, seal the gap caused by the cut with some black mastic.

Might be worth dropping Peter a pm in case he has some spares knocking around, unless he reads this of course!

Hope this helps.

Al