2ltr Efi Pinto

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

took my 2b for it's MOT @12.30 today she started fine ,nice 8 mile run to the MOT place, parked out side left her ticking over for 3 or 4 mins while I sorted out my paper work then turned the engine off( engine temp 85 deg.), 10 mins later the guys came out to do the brake test, squeezed in turned the engine on, she ran for 2 mins then died and would not fire up again. so far I have fitted a new distributer cap, new leads, rotor arm and coil, the fuel pressure reads 4 bar, it will run whilst the key is turned but misses and back fires then dies when you let the key go, the fuel pump is running , as I get flames out of the exhaust I think there is fuel getting through , I have tried it with no throttle and full throttle and pumping but all it does is make bigger bangs :help:

help I am at a loss

peter2b

Guest nurburg2006
took my 2b for it's MOT @12.30 today she started fine ,nice 8 mile run to the MOT place, parked out side left her ticking over for 3 or 4 mins while I sorted out my paper work then turned the engine off( engine temp 85 deg.), 10 mins later the guys came out to do the brake test, squeezed in turned the engine on, she ran for 2 mins then died and would not fire up again. so far I have fitted a new distributer cap, new leads, rotor arm and coil, the fuel pressure reads 4 bar, it will run whilst the key is turned but misses and back fires then dies when you let the key go, the fuel pump is running , as I get flames out of the exhaust I think there is fuel getting through , I have tried it with no throttle and full throttle and pumping but all it does is make bigger bangs :help:

help I am at a loss

peter2b

Edited by nurburg2006

Could be a faulty ignition switch if it runs when you hold the key turned, you could be loosing ign live when the key returns to the normal running position.

The flame etc could just be un burnt fuel igniting that has got through when it is missing?

Easy to check, just jump a permanent live onto the ign live out on the back of the switch.

Steve

Guest peter2b2002

should have mentioned I have fitted a push button start switch , I will double check the timing when I have towed the car back home(left it at the garage)

peter2b

should have mentioned I have fitted a push button start switch , I will double check the timing when I have towed the car back home(left it at the garage)

peter2b

Even more reason to check the ign switch as keeping it turned won't engage the starter and is not using a sping to keep the contacts made.

Steve

Guest chris brown
Even more reason to check the ign switch as keeping it turned won't engage the starter and is not using a sping to keep the contacts made.

Steve

I'm with Steve on this it sounds like the switch but you say the pump is running but are you sure it is in the normal position? It should run for about 1/2 a second when you first switch on then start again on cranking and keep going once the engine is started and the switch is back in position 2. I have come across this problem where it fails to keep running but not on a Sierra. If not sure then supply the pump with a permanent live for a test.

Guest peter2b2002

just to clarify things a bit, I have fitted 2 kill switches 1 does the normal ignition live via a relay the other does the fuel pump the the push button switch does the starter motor , when I turn the ign live switch on I all the normal things work, turning the pump switch on I get 4 bar pressure constant at the regulator , pressing the start button the engine spins and tries to fire and will run as long as the button is kept pressed the fuel pressure stays at 4 bar, its OK for a few seconds but back fires then dies.

I have had this system for 3 years now with no probs (i had to hard wire in the fuel pump some years ago due to a wiring fault in the loom) 1 thing I have noticed is the rev counter didn't move sometimes

peter2b

I had a similar problem which was down to the earth on the TFI module having rotted away inside the insulation.

I had all the same symptoms rev counter stopping working and the misfiring popping and banging.