Rivnuts

Guest djs dad

Guest djs dad

ive been looking at these rivnut tools. never used them before but think i quite like the look of them for use during my newly aquired 3a rebuild.

so, any experience of using them, are they anygood / strong? for mounting and fixing lightweight stuff like trim and stuff. are they better than a good old nut and bolt?

oh, and which fixing tool is the preferred option (all sorts of quality on the market)

thanks

kev

Guest loopyonion

I have two sets made by rs components. Simply awesome tools. Especially for the neat little areas. I've used them a fair bit. You just get the common rivets for 5,6,8 mm threads. Beware, a 6 mm rivnut needs almost a 10mm hole. You have to be accurate. I have just used them on my new alloy fuel tank.

eBay should have some cheap sets ;)

Guest Alan_builder
ive been looking at these rivnut tools. never used them before but think i quite like the look of them for use during my newly aquired 3a rebuild.

so, any experience of using them, are they anygood / strong? for mounting and fixing lightweight stuff like trim and stuff. are they better than a good old nut and bolt?

oh, and which fixing tool is the preferred option (all sorts of quality on the market)

thanks

kev

Hi Kev,

Simply the best. Make sure you can get new mandrels for the tool you buy. It is easy to break them if you don't keep the tool still when squeezing the handles.

No rivets in our 2b just rivnuts, screws and bolts..

M6 stainless a good pull, M8 a mighty pull, M10 only done a few, M12 could be impossible.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

Guest peter2b2002

a good tip on the NW site is to use a nut and bolt to tight n up , when I tried the SS rivinuts it broke my pliers so from then on I used the nut and bolt method

peter2b

Guest MartinP

I got the Memfast unit and have broken 2 m4 mandrels putting SS rivnuts in <_<

first one was definitely me being heavy handed, second probably was aswell :rolleyes:

Other than that it works well and I will get new mandrels at stoneleigh.

Martin