Zetec Identification Help

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

Guys.

I have a 1.8 silver top zetec to fit, but I'm trying to I.D. the actual engine type, i.e. 115PS 130PS and so on.

I have on the exhaust side of the block the following: 130F92.

I have on the inlet side of the block the following: C8S1 or similar.

There is no actual engine number stamped in the block anywhere that I can see, although I hear that is normal if it was a new engine that may have replaced a faulty one by Ford.

Both sides have 18 so I'm happy to say that it is a 1.8 :crazy:

Also, the cam covers don't have any markings whatsoever, like Ford or zetec? There are several Ford logos in the block, head and sump.

Can anyone help me with the above, or tell me what else I should look at?

Many thanks

Darren

Guest The Modfather

Hi Nigel.

I had a look on the bell housing lugs and they are blank!

Where your 20 is where my 18 is. Underneath your 20 is a cast in number. Thats where mine says 130F92. Any idea what that means?

Cheers

Darren

Guest The Modfather

Thanks Nigel.

The link just confused me but I appreciate you taking the time to post it, thank you.

I will take some emery paper to the lugs tomorrow and check to make sure the paint hasn't hidden the stamps.

Even if it doesn't have an engine number, as per this link http://www.zetec-cat.co.uk/" it should have a variant number surely? Otherwise how else will it be identifiable to Fords?

Darren

Ford seem to have made the effort to identify their zetec cams by putting different patterns of collars on them. Those are the bits labelled 4 in the pictures on the link. It might have been easier to put a part number on them but no. My silvertop 2.0L had the right cam 'rings' according to the link. (It also had an engine number starting NGA which was a useful clue)

As far as I know phase 1 & 2 block castings are the same. I don't think there was a stream of special blocks which became 130PS engines. It would be nice if the cast 130F92 meant it was a 130 PS engine built in 1992 but I don't think it does.

I have tried to give away a set of 2.0L silvertop cams for the last three years complete with their tappets, all identified in order, and dumped them a couple of months ago. They have the same profile as the 130PS 1.8 cams and are an easy upgrade if your engine is a 115.

Nigel

Guest The Modfather

Hi Nigel.

If you look at the link I put in, it shows that the GTI and XR3i had the 130ps engine. It has the block variant code of RQB on the lug as you describe.

I managed to find the numbers, after removing half a ton of paint! I have found what is either RDB (this doesn't exist according to the link) or RQB but the stamp is not great on the middle letter.

So, I'm still none the wiser as the if it is RDB then the link is not correct, but if it's RQB then I'm happy! :clapping:

More bits of info but nothing definitive.

There is an RQC 130PS engine as well as the RQB.

Did your engine come with the clutch still on it. The 130 PS engine should have lived on an MT75 box so will have the 1" 23 spline clutch plate. The 105PS will have been on a lesser box with a 20mm 17 spline clutch.

You might find a cast number on the cams. Early 130 inlets may be 928M6A266K or 958M6A266CA. Exhausts 928M6A269GD or 938M6A269CB.

Thats not to say if it hasn't got these it's not a 130PS but if it does have these it probably is.

Have a search round the back of the head. I saw one reference to RQB being stamped there. Don't know if that is true and it didn't say where on the back of the head!

Can you pull off the cam cover and take and post a pic of the cams.

130PS engine should have piston skirt oil jets if you pull the sump off.

Nigel

post-21-12767980272_thumb.jpg

Guest The Modfather

More bits of info but nothing definitive.

There is an RQC 130PS engine as well as the RQB.

Did your engine come with the clutch still on it. The 130 PS engine should have lived on an MT75 box so will have the 1" 23 spline clutch plate. The 105PS will have been on a lesser box with a 20mm 17 spline clutch.

You might find a cast number on the cams. Early 130 inlets may be 928M6A266K or 958M6A266CA. Exhausts 928M6A269GD or 938M6A269CB.

Thats not to say if it hasn't got these it's not a 130PS but if it does have these it probably is.

Have a search round the back of the head. I saw one reference to RQB being stamped there. Don't know if that is true and it didn't say where on the back of the head!

Can you pull off the cam cover and take and post a pic of the cams.

130PS engine should have piston skirt oil jets if you pull the sump off.

Nigel

Sadly it is just a block, nothing else fitted. I'll pop out and lift the cam cover off and piccie what I see.

Guest The Modfather

Nigel.

Here's some pics. Looking at the cams and against the linky you put in earlier, they appear to be 2.0 cams. On the last pic it has the two rings mid shaft whereas the 1.8 doesn't.

What do you think?

Darren

post-4086-127680284806_thumb.jpg

post-4086-1276802871_thumb.jpg

post-4086-127680288533_thumb.jpg

post-4086-127680289812_thumb.jpg

Guest The Modfather

Using the cam rings method your cams are coded

In 0-1010

Ex 0-1100

Which according to my impeccable sources (here) are from an 1800 130PS or a 2L engine built up to 1995. Jackpot.

Nigel

SWEET :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thanks Nigel. As soon as I took the pics I went to the link you gave and saw the two rings in the centre, and thought "YES!"

Excellent, what BHP do you think with bike carbs, megajolt etc?

Darren