Zetec Identification Help

Guest The Modfather

Not sure. I would say 155+ if well set up, perhaps 160. Most 2.0L engines will make 170 to 175 so the 1800 will be 15 - 20 down on that. I might be being a bit conservative but in comparison to a standard pinto it will go like you added nitrous.

My ST170 engined series 3 passed it's MOT today and I have just done a 50 mile blast to blow away the cobwebs. It's been in the garage for the last 2 months having a few choice bits added. I got frightened going up the A38 and had to slow down. 70ish seems so fast!

Nigel

Just remembered that the Yoko A539's that I put on for MOT's had been checked at 10ish psi by the MOT tester and he blew them up to 30psi. He did tell me and I promptly forgot. No wonder it felt a bit wobbly.

Guest The Modfather

That'll do me! I'm not looking for a mega fast car, don't need it really, but want more than the pinto gives me.

Can I ask, what mounts have you used for your engine, and do the mounts sit on the box, if you know what I mean? My current mounts sit on stainless boxes, but they appear to be in the wrong position in relation to the zetec mount holes?

I have been told that these boxes are just bolted through the mono and can be moved?

Darren

Guest marsbar

SWEET :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thanks Nigel. As soon as I took the pics I went to the link you gave and saw the two rings in the centre, and thought "YES!"

Excellent, what BHP do you think with bike carbs, megajolt etc?

Darren

I made my mounts. Sat the engine on blocks in the engine bay so it was in the right position. Cut plates to bolt on the engine in roughly the same positions the pinto mounts come off the block. Cut plates to sit on top of the boxes.(I have made my own boxes to support the mounting rubbers.) Tacked them together with the welder. Put them in the vice and blazed away with the trusty mig till I was happy they were well glued together. Chunky rubber mounts are £5 a go at the shows and come in several varieties.

Nigel

post-21-12768150485_thumb.jpg

Guest The Modfather

Darren,

Are you giving the Zetec a full rebuild ??

Not sure really. I have noticed that not all of the sump bolts are present, which worries me a little. If the engine had problems and they dropped the sump to look, and then just stuck a few back in and pulled the engine out.

So I will take the mains off and check the shells, and will replace with new anyway. The cams look fine, but again if I'm looking at the bottom I might as well lift the head too and check the bores.

I like engine building as there's not a lot inside, but it's a cost I could do without.

Darren

Guest merc190provan

Hi darren,

Earlier you were asking about Bhp figures with your mods in mind, remember that your engine may have lost several horsepower over the years, it may well have lost 20 - 30 hp, a rebuild is always a good idea, rather now than later and all that. A decoke and re-ring can be done very cheaply, but get somepone to check the bores for wear first, what miles has the engine done ?

Guest The Modfather

I have no idea what the mileage is, but I will open it up and have a peek inside. If the bores are too glazed then I'll get them checked and re-honed if need be. I can re-ring as I have a ring compressor in my kit somewhere.

I'm looking forward to this! :clapping:

Zetec engines are common and cheap. They are also expensive to recondition. I belong to the school of thought that doesn't open up or recondition cheap engines. If it smokes, drops compression, blows the head gasket, mayonaise on the oil filler cap, etc when it's just a bog standard zetec/pinto/DOHC/CVH bin it and spend 100 quid on a replacement. And while you're at it get a 2.0L. None of this 'I'm not worried about going fast, I will just take the 1800'. Sweet though the 1800 engine is the extra 200 ccs will make a difference at no extra cost.

Nigel

Guest merc190provan

Hi Alan,

250 Bhp ?? without any big changes ??? I was told by several engine builders that 220 bhp then its steel crank and rods,do you know anyone that has had these results and what was the budget ? I am very interested as i am going down this road myself.