Alternator/ Battery Warning Light Wiring

Guest joni

Guest joni

Hi All, my dash is now well underway, but I have one more problem to sort. I previosuly had some capri gauges with an alternator/ battery warning gauge (Iguess pretty much an ammeter?) as a seperate clock. I now have just an LED warning light with a battery symbol on it. I have got one of the autosparks wiring looms. What do I need to connect to my LED warning light to make it work properly? Cheers, Jon

Guest Tim Norman

The battery light will need a reistor in the circuit. The original lamp tucked somewhere under the dash will suffice. It is the resistance to the lamp that kick off the charging, IIRC

Guest joni

Good stuff thanks Tim!

Is this wired in series with my LED?

Also just out of interest does anyone know what is in the alternator that makes it switch on the 12v line when the output of the alternator drops? We were having a discussion about it at work today.

Just need to find out why my handbrake/warning light isn't lighting up and I'm ready for the MOT... then ready to take it back off the road for the vinyl wrap! :-)

Just need to find out why my handbrake/warning light isn't lighting up and I'm ready for the MOT...

Is this required for the MOT???????

Some thing in my mind tells me not but, I'm sure someone will be along and confirm or tell me I've had another dreamrolleyes.gif

Steve

Guest joni

Is this required for the MOT???????

Some thing in my mind tells me not but, I'm sure someone will be along and confirm or tell me I've had another dreamrolleyes.gif

Steve

No I don't think it is, unless there is some 'everything must work if it's fitted clause'. I just want to get the whole thing working properly before it goes to MOT, so I know its all done, and also as it probably isn't a great impression on the examiner if it turns up with some bits not working. Having said that, the handbrake/ fluid warning light is required for MOT I think, so I'd better get that one sorted as well!

Get the lamp working with 12volts and a ground so you know which way around it works then wire the 12volt side to an ignition switched feed and wire the side which had ground straight to the alternator charge wire. The resistor you need add to make the alternator work properly can be a 150ohm 2watt resistor wired in parrallel with the LED, wire a bulb in the same way if you use that method.

If want to know how an alternator works, have you not heard of wikipedia?;-)

Hope this helps

Jez