Selecting A Donor Car

Guest Matt_wood

Guest Matt_wood

I could do with a bit of help on what you need to look for when selecting a donor. Does any sort of sierra do or is it a specific type you need?

I've seen this one

http://autotrader.mobi/used-cars/advert/201032365493426/viewing-1?PHPSESSID=lg36vpuha6inlga1jclmccq311

Don't know if the link will work. It's a 2.0L ghia. Tips would be appreciated

Guest Matt_wood

The Ghia should have rear disc brakes so would be a good one, Thats a good price aswell,

Also depends on what engine you intend to use?

Would have thought I would go for the zetec rather than an old one just doesn't seem right having such an old engine

Guest big kev

Hi matt_

All you really need to look for is a car in good mercanical nick

Don't look at the body work just the engine and running gear the rest is going to the scrapper at the end of the build.

As for the old engine the majority of the guys on here have 1600 1800 and 2ltr pintos and having loads of fun.

Just think about how hard u want to make the build

I've dropped a *bleep* because I brought a 2.0 dohc auto with has Electic fuel injection so I got a lot of prep to do ( removing the auto box for a manual removing the EFI for Fazer bike carbs and sorting a loom out all fun tho)

It looks like any pinto is the easiest option but its your build

Just find a serria with a good sound engine and running gear and you'll fly

Cheers

Big keV

Guest chris brown

As for engine choice I would say it depends upon your experience as much as anything. Fitting a Pinto even with EFI (which can be cut down to fit under the bonnet) is relatively easy, but a zetec requires clutch modifications a set of throttle bodies or at the least a plenum chamber so as to get the ford throttle under the bonnet plus a new ECU or a set of bike carbs as well as other modifications to the engine.

As for the Sierra you have linked to I would say it is a good choice even thro it is a twin cam

• 3 weeks later...