Bonnet Catches Bonnet Strengthening

Guest Liam

Hi Guys

I need some new bonnet catches for the Exmo I'm rebuilding. The old ones fitted very badly and I needed a belt to secure the bonnet or I lost it at speed.

I've seen these in the photo below...from Car builder Solutions @ 16 quid a pair has anyone any comments or advice?

Secondly ; I find that the bonnet on the Exmo flexes along its length, causing it to lift away from the scuttle when driving. I was contemplating reinforcing the centre of it by bolting a strengthening strip the full length of the bonnet.

Finally ; I need some trim for the bonnet edges at the scuttle and nosecone. The stuff I inherited kept coming away ; looked naff as well. :(

Again any advice from wiser heads?

Thanks as always...

Phil.

post-10-1078768225.jpg

Phil, edge finisher, most people seem to use the mini plastic chrome or black finisher, before you fit it on squirt some silicone adhesive in it and wipe clean when fitted. It stays on then so doesn't get damaged, dont know about the catches though.

Peter.

Guest Bazwaz

On my Exmo i drilled the original catches and used a wingnut to stop them coming undone. Not very elegant but effective. I only did this on the rear catches, on the bonnet i fitted an L shaped bracket underneath the bonnet which fits under the nosecone which in the event of the front catches coming undone the bonnet will not fly off.

Barry.

post-10-1078777987.jpg

Guest Bob Rowell

Bonnet strengthening - I have used some U channel aluminium from B&Q. I put one length along the centre line from front to rear, then two others across the width, one front, one rear. They are very effective, the bonnet hardly flexes at all when lifting it off etc.

Edge finisher - Motorcycles to the rescue. I bought some screen edging trim from my local Hein Gericke shop, it is very small section and so looks neat, available in both black and chrome, 2m per pack and I think cost me about £3. Best of all, it already has adhesive inside, just push it on to fix.

post-10-1078784612.jpg

Hi

I have those catches from C.B.S. on my 2b, but you can now get them from RHSC for £12 a pair. had mine 12 months and they are still as strong as when i fitted them.

Mitch

Why don't you fit a stainless hing up the centre of the bonnet?

If you're going to Stafford on Sunday, you'll see a few of us with this arrangement.

The catches depend on if you're still to go for SVA or not, the rubbery ones will pass, the 'older' type won't.

post-10-1078791728.jpg

Guest rizla

:rolleyes: that looks very good jim nice idea,i looked into hinging the whole bonnet side ways but decided to leave it as and scratch everything each time I put the bonnet back on!!

(edited by Big Jim..........He! He! :lol: :lol: )

Edited by Big Jim

that looks very good jim nice idea,i looked into hinging the whole bonnet side ways but decided to leave it as

Really means! - damn forgot to ask Bob to do that :D :D

Mitch