Gaz Coilover Shocks

Dave Ed

hi guys,

quick question, i've purchased some almost new Gaz shocks online and have now had a chance to check them over.

I have noticed that with the spring removed the dampers retreat into the main body with resistance like you would expect but they dont return up again as i would expect them too.

is this normal? is it the spring which returns the damper to the extended position?

Can the coilovers be recharged with gas.

Am i being an idiot?

cheers, all comments welcome

Dave

thats what i thought, its just that i'm now 1000 miles away and still shopping for parts and trying to remember dimensions and positions. i'm also fixing my tin top out here and ordering parts online.

doesn't take much for me to get confused :wacko:

dave

just wanted to check what you mean

So when you are holding the damper (without a spring) upright you can push the piston down with resistance and then you are thinking it should come back up by itself?

Hopefully iam correct in saying that it shouldn't. You should find though that when you try and pull it out it also has resistance.

the spring does the springing and the damper does the damping.

It might be different with Gaz shocks but standard fluid shocks are simply a plunger with holes in moving in a tube of oil. As the plunger goes down the oil gets forced through the holes slowing the plunger which ever way it is moving.

Iam assuming adjustable dampers simply adjusts a bypass valve so more or less oil has to go through the plunger thereby adjusting the rate.

As long as its damping both ways it should be fine.

hth

yep its damping both ways with no spring. i was sure it was working ok, but i just couldn't help thinking i was missing something.

it looks like i'm being a bit blond, as they are in perfect order.

what damper settings do most people have set on their cars? i think i'll start half way and adjust as necessary

cheers for your help everyone

Dave