Help - Master Cylinder

fry61

Have just bought a new master cylinder to replace the donor Sierra one (rusty bore) The new one is for a Ford Ka - 150490132043 on box - 74471061 on Ford(logo)reservoir. It don't fit vis:- brake operating rod needs shortening (no prob.) Reservoir is not level when mounted to bulkhead;cap is highest point though,& cylinder is same angle as before,the biggest prob is the brake pipe outlets are different;we have 2 at rear of cylinder (bulkhead end) & 1 at front which is back to front with old sierra cylinder; which pipe goes where? All replies gratefully recieved. :unsure:

I've got a KA master cylinder on mine & it works a treat. Can't get at the car just at the moment but I'm pretty sure that I piped the 2 rear outlets to the front calipers and the front outlet goes to a pressure regulator & on to the back brakes.

The reservoir doesn't look quite right but works fine, I've marked a line across the top to give me a full level.

I used it to replace the standard sierra servo/master cylinder set up & it feels so much better to me now, before it was far too easy to lock up the fronts.

I'll double check the piping at the w/e & let you know if I'm talking rubbish!

HTH Foz

Yes, I lashed one up from a piece of 8mm threaded bar with a nut and a couple of washers where it went through the pedal, and then adjusted the nut until I got the right length - You need to make sure you can get full travel of the cylinder should you spring a leak on one circuit. It's easy to check the travel before you fill with fluid, not so easy after - guess who learnt this the hard way !

Once I'd got the length right I made a new one up from a piece of decent quality steel bar, but I'm sure you could adapt the original, I just happened to have a nice bit of bar lying around waiting for a use !

I'll confirm the piping as soon as I can.

Foz

Hi Bob, :friends:

Had a look on Ford Ecat for you.

From the diagram brake pipes on a car go like this

Top rear union- o/s front

Bottom rear union- o/s rear

top front union - to connector then to n/s front and rear

but I would go with Foz set up 2 rear ports to the front and the front port to the rear

fordkabrakes.jpg

There are two types of master cylinder for the KA with no ABS

3 port part number 1028404 and a 4 port part number 1101440

BOTH AT £170 + VAT :shok:

HTH

Chris

Thanks for the input guys; Chris,I hope your post is incorrect -- 'cause if one cicuit fails you have brakes on one side of the vehicle only -- surely a recipe for straight inthe hedge -- or into opposing traffic!!! Glad I didn't get mine from Ford -£170- NOS £17.95 inc postage,regards Bob.

Chris,I hope your post is incorrect -- 'cause if one cicuit fails you have brakes on one side of the vehicle only -- surely a recipe for straight inthe hedge -- or into opposing traffic!!! Glad I didn't get mine from Ford -£170- NOS £17.95 inc postage,regards Bob.

Was thinking along the same lines Bob but its there in black & white

The drawing was probably done by someone who has not go a clue about cars and just drew the part in any old place :blink: :crazy:

Just managed to get a look under the bonnet & it is piped as I thought - two unions at the back (bulkhead end) go to the two front calipers, the one at the front goes to the rears.

I fitted mine some time last year & it's worked a treat for me and passed the MOT brake test no problem.

I've got an adjustable regulator in the line to the rear drums which I don't think you can get through IVA nowadays, with it wound out (full pressure to back) the rears do occasionally lock first. You may have to experiment a bit, and stock up on clean underwear !

HTH Foz

Thanks Foz,will install that way, you & ChrisN say the same & it seems logical;just a pity it's back to front with Sierra,still gives me an opotunity to add a hydrulic brake light switch instead of the pedal one;regards Bob. :rolleyes: