Removing The Diff

harvs

Hi

I'm trying to take out the diff. I've got all the bolts out apart from the top through bolt. The bottom one came out with the use of a large hammer and a lot of swearing! But the top one doesn't seem to be moving - used WD40 and a big hammer again. I've been bashing it so hard that the thread won't be usable again anyway.

Any tips please?!

Cheers

James

Hi

I'm trying to take out the diff. I've got all the bolts out apart from the top through bolt. The bottom one came out with the use of a large hammer and a lot of swearing! But the top one doesn't seem to be moving - used WD40 and a big hammer again. I've been bashing it so hard that the thread won't be usable again anyway.

Any tips please?!

Cheers

James

with mine i had to wind it out with a ratchet from the 1st side then thump it out the 2nd side loads of wd helped..

Cheers Dan. I had another go tonight with a bigger lump hammer, and got it moving :D

However, as with everything Robin Hood, it's on to the next problem :shok: !......

The through bolt won't come out as the chassis is in the way:

5090070965_14992b4f2b.jpg

I really don't want to take off half the back end of the car, so I'm thinking about cutting the bolt and tapping the remaining bit back in a little which should free the diff. The obviously problem with this is that I won't be about to fit another bolt in when re-fitting.

Would this be an issue? It's obviously a structural bolt, but there are 4 other bolts holding the diff in.

Maybe I could try using a threaded bar as the bolt looks to only just interfere with the chassis and a threaded bar with no head may just fit.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Many thanks

James

i would drop the subframe on that side to get it out if it were me, if the bolt wasn't needed mr ford would not have put it there imho. find it odd as my diffbolts come out all the way and so did another 2b i swapped a diff on for someone. superspec different maybe ?

The bigger problem will be when you go to put it all back, if like mine it won't line up my was a bast*rd to get back in 2 trolley jacks 2 people and a big bar