Painting The Chassis And Suspension

Guest bryan_andrews

Guest bryan_andrews

Just wondered if anybody has used the POR15 chassis paint from frosts, and if so how you got on with it....... :blink:

I will never use hammerite again, never known anything to chip as badly as that stuff :gdit: :gdit: :gdit: .

So, what have you used on your chassis :D

I have used both hammerite and POR15.

Hammerite is ok on something very solid otherwise I found it to chip easily and crack.

POR15 is better but still not chip proof.

I normally use stonechip paint where it is out of sight. This will take a lot more abuse than either of the above but normally only comes in matt black and as it stays slightly flexible most hardening paints crack if painted over it.

Guest simonb

I'm currently doing this and am just using an undercoat of metal primer and using the brush-on hammerite smooth black stuff. I found that heating up the chassis with a blow torch before painting gives a much better finish.

I did use Hammerite etch primer as well, it was brown so I could see where I had to paint the black top coat on. I think lots of people have done it this way but if I were to do it again I'd use somthing that Big Jim sugested.

I used Hammerite on my chassis and it does chip, but then I never undercoated it... wish I had because it doesn't chip as bad then. Tried radiator paint but I found that was worse than Hammerite... Only thing its worth for is holding down the tin of Hammerite in a strong wind :)

Guest Mark P

I used red hammerite first then went over it in black hammerite, I have waxed oiled the parts that will be more prone to get wet or collect water (underneath the chassis) never heard of POR15,

What is it? Can you get it at most auto factors?

Mark :ph34r:

I used, "blackfriar" Galvanised metal primer (good thing is its creamy coloured). with QD-90 black paint over the top, two coats of both dry overnight and i haven't had a prob yet. Apart from the usual chips and scraps, opps.

Avalible at your local brewers.

• 1 month later...
Guest bryan_andrews

Just to post an update on this one, I have recently started painting some bits with the POR15 ready to go back on the car and I have to say i#m impressed with the stuff :rolleyes: , it's not totally chip resistant but is a million times better than hammer*bleep*e :gdit: . If you have any chassis type bits to paint it's well worth considering the POR15.

• 3 weeks later...