Silencers

Guest Russler

I can vouch for the wunoff silencer, although it's a bit of a swine to mount (close to the body) it comes in various "finishes" and is repackable.

I've had the RH stainless (ear drum spitter) then the 5" custom chrome one (poor quality design) and have now gone to Wunoff.

If you order one, be prepared for it to take a few weeks to finally sort everything out, it just doesn't go straight on.

you can specify different lenghts etc, but shorter or narrower means louder!

post-13-1079565803.jpg

i've test driven a hood with a bike exhaust when viewing to purchase

without the final "right angled end tube" on it you got a hell of alot of fumes

in your face :wacko: ,you'll get loads of black crap over your rear wing, :boohoo: not sure it would pass an sva either :huh:

Guest Russler

I was planning on chopping the end off and welding a stainless swept pipe on the end to hopefully make it more conventional. I have passed my sva test so not such a concern I hope, apart from the noise issues.

thanks for the responses

Guest Russler

I guess if it is too loud I will just have to install one of those mechanical damper thingies, I've noticed a nice new garret in one of the display cabinets at uni. Its quite good really they try and give everyting to me, last month they were trying to give me an american ford 4lt v6 brand new on the crate, but my dad is already slightly concerned by the number of engines and space they are taking up at home.

Guest Griff

My series 3 came with Hood original ear splitter, lived with it for about 3 days then looked across the garage at the Blackbird ! An idea crossed my mind and two days later The single can was fitted to the Hood. Its a 'Quill' street legal race can, in shinny stainless with a BS stamp, so the MOT should be OK. It is only slightly less noisy at low revs but above 3000rpm the noise level drops dramatically but the tone is great. If anybody is interested I'll try to get a photo attached and take a sound level reading. Ive also got a 'Muzzy' aluminium race can but my mates wont go out with me if I put it on the bird they recon its too loud, wimps!!!!! might try it on the hood one day. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest Roger 2B

Attached picture of my exhaust, this is a motorbike silencer with, as you can see, a downturned bend on the back.

I can't remember what bike it is off, I have it written down somewhere!

This sounds fairly load during acceleration but is quiet at steady throttle. 95db at the SVA. Apparently pointing the outlet towards the ground helps with noise reduction during measurement.

post-13-1079687027.jpg

Just to be different I have a 2.8V6 with twin cherry bombs installs by previous owner (one on each side). And yes it is very loud.

I've just bought it and the cans point straight in from of the rear tyres, which I believe is a bad thing, so am going to fabricate a swept end.

I don't know if this is going to be too loud to be bearable but as I'm only just getting it ready for it's MOT I havn't driven it yet.

This forum seems a bit of a godsend and look forward to having some on-line chats.

Apparently pointing the outlet towards the ground helps with noise reduction during measurement.

One potential problem with that ... your back right tyre has a much warmer running environment than the other 3. Not sure if this is a problem or not. Just a potential spanner for the works.

Ant

One potential problem with that ... your back right tyre has a much warmer running environment than the other 3. Not sure if this is a problem or not. Just a potential spanner for the works.

Not with a v6 theres an exaust at either side, both back tyres (if it makes any diferance) will be just as warm.

Mitch

Guest Russler

You will have to watch out when the engine starts to get a bit old and worn, a nice mist of oil directly on the rear tyres doesn't sounds a very exciting prospect (or not, depends whether you like a bit of oversteer, I am personally a fan but you can go too far) :rolleyes:

Guest Griff

Sorry for the delay in posting the picture.

The latest development in bike exhausts is for an insert in the tailpipe which reduces noise and makes them legal. I haven't seen or heard one yet but heard about an oval 'Blue flame' can with two tailpipes, one baffled and quiet the other with an insert which is removed to allow straight through pipe. I might be buying one soon as the quill is from the blackbird and I've only got a Muzzy ally racing can left which is far louder than even the standard Hood silencer, but a beautiful sound.

Griff

post-13-1080564733.jpg