New Welding Toy Arrived!

megadodo

My new toy has arrived, see clicky below.

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding_equipment/Tig_Welder

After much research and experience with cheap welding products I have decided to "go tig". It's really for the wife's camper van but I'm sure I find a use for it when I drop the VR6 engine into the 2B! I'll let you know how it works when I get a valve adapter for the diaposable Argon bottle!

Keep us posted on how you get on; bought a similar TIG a year ago,hired a bottle of argon, & blew holes in every thing I tried to stick together, even the sheets that didn't have any holes/joins in the first place. All down to operator error no doubt & only having one set of gauges found it a pain changing between Mig & Tig. Must practise more when I have time which will be after this build is finished!! :aggressive:

I treated myself over Christmas to a 3-in-1 TIG/Plasma Cutter/Arc Welder. It's a cheapo Chinese one that seem to attract lots of comments from people who don't actually have them saying they are rubbish/won't last/can't be repaired whilst the people who do have them think they are fine (if maybe not up to being used day-in-day-out in an industrial setting). I've actually found TIG welding to be really easy so-far and I've got far less knobs to twiddle than all the ones on there. I've only been sticking lumps of scrap together so far but on sticking them in the vice and beating them with a hammer the welds seem plenty strong (dead technical way of testing I know). Mine is only DC so no ally welding for me.

I haven't tried it as a plasma cutter yet and the arc attachment can stay in the box forever as far as I'm concerned.

If it goes pop then it'll go back to the company I bought it from who are fortunately only 5 minutes down the road from me (the main reason I was willing to take a punt).

Iain

I brought an R-Tech one last year. Excellent quality.

If you use disposable bottles they dont last long and they are expensive!

You are better off going to a gas supplier and get a refillable bottle.

Les

Guest snotfart

you are a braver man than me! i use tig for work and have a cea matrix 200 ac/dc for personal and would never dream

of using it for steel bodywork,too slow and too expensive.mig every time!

I've watched too much American hotrod and OCC so I've got hooked on the concept. Les, I've just been browsing for Argon suppliers in my area so I will go and get a big bottle at some point. I'll just have a play with the disposable that came with the kit one at the weekend on some scrap. If I can find the time! Pleased you have found te R-tech to be OK!