Brake Servo Or Not?

Guest DR Jones

Guest mower man

I must be the exeption to the masses [always was awkward ] 4pots,260 discs servo ,no load apportioning valve,drums with std linings fast road spec pads lotus elise rears Ithink --------- happy-- you bet lots of feel no locking unless I realy jump on the pedal .Only lock up probs I had were with std calipers that couldn't decide which one would do it first thats why I upgraded mower man [mick] , ABS is controlled by personal computer on my shoulders :crazy: :good: ,

Guest mower man

What system is that running Mick, Windows 1950? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :vava:

No Daz it's earlier than that circa 1947 [a good yearfor all sorts of thing's ] :clapping: :acute: :crazy: :crazy: mower man-- p.s.press hard enough tostop because you actually go faster with the wheels locked ,I would have thought you would have known that Daz as a Police driver :rofl: :db: 8P

Guest The Modfather

I would have thought you would have known that Daz as a Police driver :rofl: :db: 8P

Absolutely Mick.

A skidding car is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. ABS is NOT efficient braking either. Nothing as good as cadence braking, but no one learns it anymore.

Daz

Guest mower man

Used it for years ,started when throwing a mildly tweeked 1275Cooper 'S' about on road rallies about30 years ago [ not p.c. now] good fun mick :good:

Guest AWhite

I have the 260mm drilled/grooved discs with bigger calipers + standard master cylinder and its absoutely fine.

Don't forget that you need to remove servo and put a push rod (get them from tiger) inbetween pedal and m/c you can't just simply remove the vacuum take off and expect it to work well.

Link to push rod Here

Andy

Took car for a spin with servo hose disconnected and blocked up- much better than with a servo. I'll get a new pushrod, but how does having servo fitted but disconnected effect feel? Can't remember hearing any comment on that before. Bri

Guest Ian & Carole

Bian

I will attempt to answer but wait to be shouted down !!!!!

With the servo in place but pipe disconnected

1 you are pressing the brake pedal push rod into the servo.

2 the out put side of the servo has a push rod that pushes the brake master cylinder.

If you remove the servo completly you only have a direct push onto the brake master cylinder giving you a "direct " push hence more feel than with just the pipe disconnected.

HTHs and makes some sort of sence.

I will add quite simply I removed my servo after the first year and would never go back. JMHO though.

Thanks Ian, that makes perfect sense. The pedal shaft is a control input to the servo, and the servo 'amplifies' it and gives an output to the M/C. Next stop, a call to Tiger. Ta again, Brian

Having taken the servo etc apart, I reckon I need a rod that is 167mm from where the white donut meets the pedal to the end that locates in M/C. That makes my existing rod too short to modify. Anyone remember what length theirs is? What length is the Tiger rod? TIA, Bri