Handbrake Cable

Guest danny_samb

Guest danny_samb

hi all after some advice on handbrake cables, i know there is previous threads but im after some help, i have sierra drums, with the cable from each drum to metal horse shoe plate, i just need to the cable that goes from that plate to the sierra handbrake, can i just buy a sierra cable attatch it to the handbrake then cut to length and attatch it to the plate some how, please help

Thanks

if i'm correct in the bit you mean the piece between the handbrake and the 'horseshoe' is actually a solid bar with a horizontal eye one end and virtical eye the other about 4/5 inches long.

once you've got that set then you can shorten the cable by cutting one lug off and pulling it through then welding a nut on the cable at the right length. remember to set the adjuster so you can pull it tighter and maybe also loosen if you accidentally cut a bit tight.

hth

Mine is a solid fixing from the horse shoe to the hand brake with an eye fitting that bolted to the hand brake.

HAND_BRAKE_FRONT_SEAT_BARS.jpg

You could easy make up a cable with bits from B & Q and some strong steal cable and fittings available.

Stephen

Guest john wilkins

A neat way, (and one that an MOT tester is happy with) is to cut the inner cable in half and get two 50mm x 15mm sleeves machined up with two set screws in each one and a hole big enough to pass both cables through. Having assembled the nippled ends in the brake drums and set out the outer cables and adjusters in the stops, pass the inner cables through one sleeve each side, over the quadrant and pass each loose end back through the sleeve. Then tighten the set screws to lock the inner cables in place.

bentbonnet