Wilco 20w - 50 Everyday Value Mineral Oil

ozz

I've been having probs with bike carbs over fuelling diluting my oil with petrol (2.0 Pinto ex-injection), so far I've wasting two lots of expensive oil so just been to Wilko and bought 4.55 l of 20-50 for £6.97.

I thought it would do to confirm I'd sorted out the over fuelling in the garage (not on the road yet).

Has anyone used this oil before and know if its any good? or will it ruin my engine?

I've always been one to buy really expensive branded oils for my cars so a little nervous about this "bargain".

Andrew

Guest barksavon

Ozz

what are the 'symptons' of your bike carbs over fuelling your Pinto cos ive got bike carbs on mine and ive recently posted a couple of threads about my smoky pinto thinking i am burning oil but i have wondered whether i have an over fuelling issue. my engine has been re bored with new pistons and rings, valves and seals etc, but is blowing blueish smoke out the exhaust at about 3000 revs

ive had some good advice in response to my topics and it could well be oil thats getting past the valve seals but want to consider all options.

Thanks

Ian

Also ive had Gulf Tec 10w40 semi synthetic oil from Home Bargains for £8.99 for 4L. They still sell it cos ive seen some in Loughborough this week, dont know its 'pedigree' but might be worth a try.

Guest Christine

Ozz

what are the 'symptons' of your bike carbs over fuelling your Pinto cos ive got bike carbs on mine and ive recently posted a couple of threads about my smoky pinto thinking i am burning oil but i have wondered whether i have an over fuelling issue. my engine has been re bored with new pistons and rings, valves and seals etc, but is blowing blueish smoke out the exhaust at about 3000 revs

ive had some good advice in response to my topics and it could well be oil thats getting past the valve seals but want to consider all options.

Thanks

Ian

Also ive had Gulf Tec 10w40 semi synthetic oil from Home Bargains for £8.99 for 4L. They still sell it cos ive seen some in Loughborough this week, dont know its 'pedigree' but might be worth a try.

More thoughts on blue smoke/burning oil. If you can get the engine pressure tested it might help with diagnoisis (spelling) each cylinder is pressurised (both valves closed) and monitored on a gauge, No pressure loss is good. With pressure loss air escaping in crank case ( air from dip stick hole / breather) = rings. Air escaping from cylinder hear = valves. No pressure loss but still blue smoke the valve seals. Just a thought :search:

Ozz

Thanks

Ian

My symptoms as follows :-

First attempt start with the bike carbs fuel was coming out of the breather (zx6r carbs) I tracked this to a sticking float in two of the carbs. No start.

Once cleaned carbs - It started with black smoke from exhaust and I noticed the very thin oil smelling of petrol.

So I Changed oil and went for a second start which ran with lots of spitting and popping from the carb very hot exhaust on three pipes. dilute oil filled the catch tank from the crank case which smelled of petrol. Still lots of smoke but not too black.

cleaned carbs again (broke them) got more carbs of ebay lovely and clean.

Stripped head to investigate for valve/bore problems. re lapped the valves, new valve stem oil seals and head gasket, set valve clearances properly,

Went for a naughty 3rd start with contaminated oil ( well it had been sat a while with the head off thought the petrol might fizz off) very short run and got no spitting/popping exhaust did not glow.

Need to change the oil for longer run to confirm sorted.

Oh yes before had head off I could turn the crank by hand with the spark plugs in now I can't.

Ozz

Guest webby

hi as a rule of thumb if you get blue smoke its oil white or black is fuel generally if it smokes on acceleration its a bottom end problem if the valve seals are leaking you normally only get smoke when you start up or when you shut the throttle as there is actually very little oil around the valves and not at pressure so it is only the oil that runs down the valves a quick and easy way to check your bottom end is remove the plugs do a compression test, pour a couple of table spoons of engine oil down a plug hole and quickly do another comp test if the comp is substancially higher you have bottom end problem if not its ok. as for fuel in the petrol i think you need to look at your breather system or pipe work because unless your bottom end is totally knackered, and your pouring petrol in by a hose there is no way it will get into the oil in the sump. if your exhaust is getting extremely hot its running weak (not enough fuel) not rich.also if your having carb problems check the diaphrams on the carbs as these actually open the throttle slide and needle which lets the fuel through the main jets hope this helps a bit nick