Fuel Pipe Fixing

Guest steve8274

Guest steve8274

hi all

is it acceptable to secure fuel pipe to copper brake lines using tie wraps.

i saw this on someones photos but not sure if this was before or after iva/sva

my brake lines are secured using appropriate brackets and rivets every 300mm.

needs to be ok for iva

thanks

steve

It's not how I would like to do it.

Fuel and brake linesvare safety critical and I spent a lot of time fixing the lines with rubber lined ally P clips, I secured the P clips with screws or small bolts so I can remove them if needed in the future, also spaced the P clips more regularly than 300mm, closer to 200.

If a fuel or brake line passed through a panel I covered it with some split rubber fuel pipe to resist chaffing.

I also ran 2 fuel lines incase I wanted to run fuel injection with a return line in the future.

Guest gixerboy600

Hi Steve,

Not how I did mine (see pics), P clip fuel line on the lower chassis rail down the tunnel along with a fuel return if running injection.

HTH's

John

Mechanicaly it will work but the iVA testor wont accept them for fuel and brake lines. It all depends on individual examiners interpretation of "permanent". To be be on the safe side to pass IVA use "proper" p clips or clips designed for fuel & brake lines. In all my years working on cars I have never had a properly tensioned wire tie snap but that's just not relevant to IVA.

post-2715-0-78104800-1300347793_thumb.jpg

Guest steve8274

thanks guys for the replies.

i was kind of thinking it wouldnt be suitable but thought i would ask.

should have drilled holes etc for clips before i put some of my panels on. nevermind all part of the fun!!!

steve

thanks guys for the replies.

i was kind of thinking it wouldnt be suitable but thought i would ask.

should have drilled holes etc for clips before i put some of my panels on. nevermind all part of the fun!!!

steve

Steve,

I'm sure i saw a right angled air drill on the Aldi ad the ohter day? worth their weight in gold for tight spaces. :good:

Guest steve8274

Steve,

I'm sure i saw a right angled air drill on the Aldi ad the ohter day? worth their weight in gold for tight spaces. :good:

unfortunately i dont have a compressor.

is there a clip that has one fixing hole but can carry 2 pipes. like a p clip only doubles up or maybe "B" shaped. can just drill out existing rivets then. easier to get them out than drilling through chassis

thanks again

steve

unfortunately i dont have a compressor.

is there a clip that has one fixing hole but can carry 2 pipes. like a p clip only doubles up or maybe "B" shaped. can just drill out existing rivets then. easier to get them out than drilling through chassis

thanks again

steve

2 "P" clips back to back " dP" ?