Electric Fan Fitting

Stewart

I am putting a 2Ltr pinto into a zero ,I have rad and fan supplied with kit,firstly do I need a fan on the engine aswell as the electric fan and which side of the radiator is it best to fit the electric fan. :search:

You can remove the vicous fan from the pinto and just use the electric fan. The mounting side depends on the design of the fan. Some push air, some pull, some can can go either way. If you wire the fan to a battery (checking polarity and minding your fingers) see which way the wind blows and and then you can get the orientation correct. If polarity on the fan is not obvious from the wiring or any supplied diagram you can measure the fan's current draw and see if there is a differnce. If there is no significant difference in either direction you can wire it either way and its probably a push or pull fan (i.e. both). If there IS a significant difference in consumption then choose the lowest consuption as the correct polarity.

Look at the cross-sectional shape of the blade & liken it to the cross-section of a spoon; the hollow side of the blade is the side that best delivers the air-flow,so make it rotate to deliver air from this side. Running it in "reverse" is inefficient & may show a lower current draw but that depends on how the motor brushes are positioned in the motor housing.

Good point about shaped blades although I have not seen any other than flat blades on the fans I was looking at for my 2B or even the supplied ones, but as usual I was looking for value for money.