It Had To Be Done

Guest marsbar

Guest marsbar

Ive had to "Bite the Bullet" and have my electrics sorted out, I have had the car for two seasons now and I have always had problems with the electrics, manifesting itself in over heating the coil, instruments going off when braking, and the final straw was the fuse carrier burning like a Roman Candle.

As I am totally useless at electrics, I decided that it needed totally rewiring, so I phoned a few people and have found someone through Saturn Sports Cars at Hartlepool.

They use a "Old School" auto electrician who came and looked at the car and said it was the worst he had seen! ( I Had had a go at replacing the burnt wires and fitting a 10 way fuse box, and left it when the was a fault that I could not find)

So they came and collected it on Friday, and it may take 2 to 3 weeks to sort as he is going to do it when he has no other jobs to do, hopefully it might be quicker?

I will let you know what type of job the do and post some pictures of his work, when it is back and hopefully running ready for this year.

If anyone would like a cringe at the before pictures see this link http://s992.photobucket.com/albums/af41/marsden2764/Robin%20Hood%20Electrical/

Theres a brief video thats sounds quite good if you turn the volume up!

Cheers Steve

Steve,

I can understand the neexd for an auto electrician. I have started today to fit the sierra loom into the zero so far good fun with no burnt wires, son found out out how to make the horn work with the jump leads.

Hope it all works out.

Terrible electrics, a complete rewire needed. Another point of concern to me was the rear mount of the lower wishbone (showed up in slide show as rusty bracket) In the picture it appears to only have one bolt securing it to the chassis; if this is so please try to add a second bolt in each to stop any chance of the bracket twisting. I may be wrong (often am) the angle of view may not show the other bolt or a welded joint.

Guest marsbar

Terrible electrics, a complete rewire needed. Another point of concern to me was the rear mount of the lower wishbone (showed up in slide show as rusty bracket) In the picture it appears to only have one bolt securing it to the chassis; if this is so please try to add a second bolt in each to stop any chance of the bracket twisting. I may be wrong (often am) the angle of view may not show the other bolt or a welded joint.

Hi Florin, you are right, both need an extra bolt in, will have to do it before I drive it. You have good eyes shame you live at the wrong end of the country for a real look!

Thanks steve

Guest marsbar

Hi steve

I never thought wiring was my strong point! :search:

Glad to see you have it sorted

Andrew

Hi Andrew spoke to the Auto electrician today and he has started, found one problem the multi plug that attaches to the ignition? had some corrosion in it, OK to run the megajolt, but when I switched on lights or something else, it stops working.

No wonder it puzzled me, its the intermittent stuff I hate, he says the front electrics and back are OK and will retain them, hopefully he can sort out the other bits.

As its 2011 do you know when its due an MOT?

Hope you are well, whats the state of play with the MEV?

Steve

Guest mastarforth

the MEV will be hopefully ready to go for IVA by the end of next week, I hope

I am heading back to China for a few weeks the week after, but life has had me away from the garage for a while.

I cannot remember the date of registration I seem to remember it was june, so I guess it is due then. If you check on teh V5 for date of first registration it will tell you