Melting Clutch Cable

Guest gpollard

Guest gpollard

Hi everyone, wonder if you could offer advice. I'm running a 2B with a ford 2.0 pinto engine in it. It goes well but I seem to go through clutch cables like there is no tomorrow. Once installed all is good. They run from the pedal box through the gap between the 2nd and 3rd pipes in the exhaust and then underneath to the gearbox. All was well last year but since then I have fitted a CAT (to pass emission laws in France). It runs fine with the odd pop and bang (but that is good!) but the cable melted the outer coat and then welded itself inside. Another cable, same problem within days. Another cable, this time with heat resistent shielding on and it too has started to go the same way. No melting but the clutch bite was at the top and now at the bottom in only one 5 mile run! I'm lost. Any ideas how to stop this happening? Even ingenious plans accepted at this point!

G

Guest mower man

I wrapped mine with 2/3 layers of silver cooking foil no more probs .The longer cable is a thought for a replacement whenever Ineed one mower man :good:

Guest AWhite

Little bit of aluminium cloth does the trick after putting the long cable on. I also made a small piece of steel screwed to the top hole on the alternator which I tie wrapped the cable to to keep it the furthest away from the manifold as possible and makes sure it doesn't move about.

Andy

I wrapped mine with 2/3 layers of silver cooking foil no more probs .The longer cable is a thought for a replacement whenever Ineed one mower man :good:

Iv'e just fitted the 2wd cossie version to my S7 and its so long it passes through the nose cone, no danger of overheating though.

Tom H