Hood Fitting

Guest Ant

Les, I too had water running down the inside of screen at any speed over 60. Couldn't work out how it got from the back lip of the frame forward 4mm uphill to the glass. Then saw the ally lift off the glass under hood tension so the water wasn't coming over the top, it was running between the glass and rubber seal, then down the inside. Remade the screen filling the frame with sikaflex and pushing the glass into this. Despite there still being gaps between the hood and frame no water gets in at any speed now.

Nigel

Nigel,

just had the same as you described happen to me coming back from Detling a couple of hours ago. New mod on top of frame worked well but water was trickling down the screen from between the glass and seal. This was in extreme conditions as the rain was that hard the traffic on the motorway was down to 40 mph and you could hardly see the car in front.

Looks like a bit of sealing to do between frame and glass now.

Les

Guest Charles B

I'm just about to fit a screen and hood as well. Ages ago wen I built a Dutton, the front of my hood had two strips of aluminium in a pocket along the front which you slid up into a gap between the glass and the windscreen top surround. This worked really well. Has anybody done anything similar?

Anyone got any experience with "lift the dot" fasteners as opposed to turn buttons? I'm thinking that turn buttons stick out quite a long way if I use them around the back of the car.

Ant

• 2 weeks later...

Just been in the garage trying to fit turnbuttons to the screen frame. What does anyone out there use to fit them? I wanted to use m4 set screws, but dome heads sit proud, and countersunk still sit too high (the turnbuttons are very thin). I then tried 3.2mm stainless rivets and 8mm is too long (and a complete git to drill out of the screen frame!). Just ordered some 6mm ones but I think I may still need to put a spacer washer behind.

Any suggestions?

You shouldn't have tried to put turn buckles on the screen. 2 only are needed, at either side of the hood, where the bottom edge of the hood finishes at the 'doorway' any more than that, and you're making problems for yourself.

post-5-1082134984.jpg

Ok, they may not be needed, but given that I'm using them, how has anyone else attached them? I'm sure I've seen at least two turnbuttons - one either side of the windscreen, on someone's car.

Anyone?

Ant

Guest gordon_macnab

Ant,

I fitted a couple of turnbuckles on the corners of the screen after one of the original poppers came off. I got some from Wollies some of which were double thickness but even the standard ones worked ok. I fitted them with small self tappers.

Gordon

Well I eventually got mine all fitted. Good job this is post SVA!

I was just about to start blunting the ends of some self tappers and the postie arrived with a bag full of 3.2x6mm rivets and these worked a treat.

Thanks for all the help guys.