Exmo V8?

Guest boggie

Guest boggie

Hi All,

I have been offered a tuned 4.0L Rover V8 running around 300BHP on a Holley carb and am considering dropping it into my EXMO.

Apart from the obvious (Moving the servo, making a hole on the other side for the exhaust) what problems will I face and what gearbox should I use?

Has anyone done this? Am I mad? :wacko:

Thanks, Boggie

Guest ian luxford

yes you are stark raving mad!! i cant believe you want to try such a thing! :wacko: :wacko:

but if you manage it can you come and fit one in mine???? :D :D

good luck with it though

Alan sent me a text yesterday to say he has just had the car set up on a rolling road, 248 BHP !! and just think driver and passenger get his and her burns on their legs !!

Go for it you know it makes sense

You can get a Rover SD1 manual gearbox that should fit the engine but may not go down the tunnel, they are rare as hens teeth but are around.

If you go for the type9 then you should use the one with the longer input shaft as used on the V6's i.e. Sierra XR4, Sierra XR4i, Capri 2.8 manual, Granada 2.4 manual.

A full conversion kit to fit the type 9 to the Rover is available from THIS LOT but it's expensive.

I have a good artical in PDF format on how to do the conversion using the above kit, if you PM me with your email address I can send it to you (it's 611KB).

Guest MikeD318

I bet he had to crow bar that in. Looks lovely though and I bet it sounds even better. Go for it Boggie, you can always stick the battery in the back for even more room. :wub:

Guest boggie

Thanks all,

Sounds like it might be a go-er, just got to persuade the Mrs that she won't mind me spending the next few weeks in the garage. :rolleyes:

Guy - you have PM!

Boggie

Guest boggie

Oh Bugger, just rang RHE tech help and they said that the V8 will not fit into the Exmo as the front crossmember will have to be removed.

Any thoughts?

Guest boggie
Is it not possible to cut out the crossmember and weld it further forwards? :huh:

Unfortunately not an easy job as the crossmember is the mounting point for the fromt suspention. According to RHE Tech help I would have to remove the crossmember completely and fabricate some custom mounts so I could fit double wishbones and inboard coilovers. Add to that the hassle of squeezing in a V8 and it doesn't seem worth it. Nitrous will give me the same sort of power for about £500, although it won't have that V8 sound and filling the bottle could be a pain.