Zetec & Mt75 Build

Guest Hammy360

Guest Hammy360

Well quite a good day in the garage working on the engine and box but as always a couple of questions...

1-My MT75 came out of a 2.0 DOHC Sierra Ghia, is the starter motor going to work with 2.0 Black top Zetec? (scholar sump on so clearance is fine)

2- Ive fitted a westfield thrust bearing. Is there any way of checking the clutch functionality whilst out of the car?

3- Is the standard zetec alternator too big for a Zero?

4-On a slightly different topic, I cant get move the oil fill plug on the diff which is now fitted in the car (yes I realise I shouldve checked this before I fitted it) Any tips at all??

5- Should I/Can I fit the engine and box in one unit or should I fit the box first??

Cheers lads

Guest dinger

Alright Hammy,

cant answer the first two questions but here goes on 3 and 4,

3, you can use the standard alternator on the zero but you will need to be very clever with brackets as the zetec ones wont fit anymore, Also you need to spin the water pump in the opposite direction, Retro ford do a bracket kit and alternator and so do GBS, I went for the Retro ford one as it was cheaper, I had to modify the bracket as i used a different alternator to the kit,( already had a small diahastu alternator) so your options if you are not clever with a welder or have the facility to make a brackets are,, but the whole bracket and alternator kit from GBS or Retro ford,

4, Your not alone in this subject as i did exactly the same, ended moving it with a long chisel and hammer, once it had shifted I could remove with the right sized allen key, when i dont it up I just gave it a tap with the chisel ti nip it up, I believe the drain plugs are still available from fords and i think i have seen them on ebay,

HTH

Dave

Guest Hammy360

Alright Hammy,

cant answer the first two questions but here goes on 3 and 4,

3, you can use the standard alternator on the zero but you will need to be very clever with brackets as the zetec ones wont fit anymore, Also you need to spin the water pump in the opposite direction, Retro ford do a bracket kit and alternator and so do GBS, I went for the Retro ford one as it was cheaper, I had to modify the bracket as i used a different alternator to the kit,( already had a small diahastu alternator) so your options if you are not clever with a welder or have the facility to make a brackets are,, but the whole bracket and alternator kit from GBS or Retro ford,

4, Your not alone in this subject as i did exactly the same, ended moving it with a long chisel and hammer, once it had shifted I could remove with the right sized allen key, when i dont it up I just gave it a tap with the chisel ti nip it up, I believe the drain plugs are still available from fords and i think i have seen them on ebay,

HTH

Dave

Cheers Dinger, nice one. Did you place the chisel in the hex bolt??????? :pardon:

Guest dinger

No mate, The head of the bolt was domed but managed to get a sharp chisel to make a mark then a blunt one to knock it round, didnt want to damage the hex anymore than it was

I had the same issue with my diff. Ended up having to take it back out and to a local garage. Even they couldn't shift it with all the tricks they knew and ended up cracking the back plate. I had to have a new back plate and filler plug. On the plus side this meant they inspected the internals and bearings etc, replaced the seals at the same time so I know it is a good diff.