Head Bolts

Stewart

I am in the process of overhauling a 1984 2ltr pinto engine does it require new head bolts? as there seems to be controversy on this subject,some reports say they are streched bolts and must be replaced others say there is no problem using the old bolts. :help:

don't know for sure whether to replace or not but i bought a set from gakets for classics (search on ebay) and they cost about £15 including delivery.

Personally i've used old bolts doing head gaskets before. even the stretch bolts are ok preoviding they are still within a certain length.

The pinto also only torques up to 85lbs/ft on teh final stage so its not that much pressure.

hth

Guest mower man

By not using new bolts you run the risk of buying another h/gasket within a short time!!plus buying bolts you should have bought anyway believe me Iv'e been there, the only time you can safely reuse is ARP bolts which are realy only sensible for full in your face comp engines when tear downs are fairly regular , that opinion is based on 40+years on the spanners inc alot of Ford work , others may differ in opinion but I did it once ,head gskt failed in days never again!!! mower man [mick] :acute: :good: