Fuel Mixture Screw On Zx6rs

Guest The Modfather

Hi,

They are on underside central in each fuel bowl (i.e the middle of each carb when viewed from air inlet trumpet and to the manifold side when viewed side on, be easier with a picture... if I could find one. :rolleyes:

Would take a pic of mine but you need a mirror to see them withthe filter on...

Cheers

Tony.R

Guest marsbar

Hi Daz, I have the instruction/ service manual as a pdf for the Kawasaki Z6, it has a section on the carbs. I can send it to you via e mail if you want?

Drop me a line if you want it.

Guest The Modfather

Hi guys.

I have found that on tick over there is a strong petrol smell, so I am thinking that the mixture is too rich. So, I'll wind them all in, and then bring them out 3 turns. I have the colourtune kit, so I'll give that a try.

Is there anything else that I need to do?

Thanks for your replies and pics!

Daz

I usually get a good spray of petrol coming out of the carbs on WOT only. But not noticeable with air filter on.

Hi guys.

I have found that on tick over there is a strong petrol smell, so I am thinking that the mixture is too rich. So, I'll wind them all in, and then bring them out 3 turns. I have the colourtune kit, so I'll give that a try.

Is there anything else that I need to do?

Thanks for your replies and pics!

Daz

Guest mower man

Re mixture settings ,are the mentioned screws air bleed or fuel bleeds ? I personaly would start with 1.5 turns outfrom lightly seated with the throttlestop 1.5 turns in from first contact this should give you some sort of tickover ,turn the screws out 1/4 turn [all of them ] ,has speed increased or decreased ? if it increases trim back the throttle stop to give a reasonable idle if the engine slows down or stops wind the mixture screws in 1/4 +1/4 more, has this improved matters ?is tickover ok? don't mess with the throttle stops unless absolutly necc ok if it is fast slow it down but dont try to pick speed up by turning it in less the engine will not run ,play with the mixture screws adjust each one the same amount the same way ,this should give you a usable engine but it may still need a r/r session to get it bang on.All these settings can have bigger or smaller differences than the ones above use it as a base line and record settings so you casn go back to something reasonable HTH mower man :good:

Guest woolly
Re mixture settings ,are the mentioned screws air bleed or fuel bleeds ?

fuel control turn out to richen,normally around 6 turns total movement. the last 3 i set up ended around 1.75 turns, but 3turns a safe starting point.

Guest The Modfather

Hi guys, just a bit of an update.

My plugs were sooty and the strong exhaust smell made me think that the mixture was too strong. I had fitted 1.6mm main jets as most have stated for a baseline (RR to be booked soon). So from receiving the above advice, I found that all carbs were 4 turns out from closed, so I have set all now at 3 turns. My plugs are now a grey colour. I dug out my old Colourtune kit, but the adapter is too small. Does anyone know what size I need for the zetec, and where can I get one?

My megajolt is now working thanks to Graham B for lending me his laptop with serial port, and I have advancement on the ignition, and everything is working fine.

Has anyone got a map for a 1.8 zetec with 2 litre cams and zx6r carbs, or could they write one for me?

Kind regards

Daz

Hi Daz,

Strangely enough Halfrauds do them.

I have also heard the adapter from a compression tester is the same. (Not tried it though)

Andi

Edit to say.... Sorry Daz I was talking Pinto so dont know if a Zetec is the same size.

Guest The Modfather

next calibrate the TPS and check with a timing light that nothing is lieing to you.

you may wish to add a little cranking advance.

Hi Chris,

I calibrated the TPS no problem.

My timing light is just a cheap one, and has no digital readout. The advance is working as I can see the crank timing mark moving.

I think the advance is set at 12 on the base map. What do you think on that figure? Should it be more or less, bearing in mind the "limp home" mode is only 10 degs.

Daz