New Clutch Problems

Guest sandy77uk

mines not floor mounted, they are suspended, unless i am missing something massive here? either way, I need to get a quadrant fitted to the pedal to allow the clutch operation

Guest sandy77uk

I'm wrong then, me 2B no speak Zero. <_< :blush: :vava:

so if the pedals are suspended in the zero like the other models, am i going to be ok with pretty much any ford quadrant?

so if the pedals are suspended in the zero like the other models, am i going to be ok with pretty much any ford quadrant?

The Zero does not use a quadrant. If you look at some of the build blogs / pictures I'm sure all will become clear.

HTH

Problem identified tonight.

Temporary solution effected

Road test tomorrow.

I mocked up on an old V6 gearbox using an RS2000 bellhousing and long bolts with nuts as spacers to replicate the Caterham spacer, measured a standard type 9 input shaft spigot etc and did the same on the mockup, whilst the measurments werent exactly acurate enough for a definitive answer it did make me think that the spigot might be jamming in the back of the crank.

Released the bellhousing to engine bolts one at a time and inserted a 2mm washer in each, bolted it all back up, sat in the car, gear engagement felt better, started the engine, carefully engaged gear, it went in no crunch.

Tomorrow off the stands and run up the road, I hope.

Now need to work on a permanent solution.

Guest Ian & Carole

Paul

I have been watching your V6 box instal with interest since day 1.

Do you now think that the spacer between box and bell housing is 2mm too thin ?

Yes I do, the problem may be as simple as the normal dust plate used with the standard bellhousing, my RS2000 bellhousing now fitted to an RS2000 ally sump does not use the dust plate.

I would consider 3mm to be the extra distance needed, as the spacer covers and makes oil tight the gearbox, any bellhousing can be fitted and it is at the spacer to bellhousing face that I would fit a 3mm plate using the standard box to bellhousing gasket as a template.

Another solution could be to cut 3mm off the input shaft and re bevel but without trying it I would not know, the splines are not an issue as they are further back on a V6 box but the bearing cover and tube the clutch release bearing runs on may also need 3mm off.

Guest sandy77uk

The Zero does not use a quadrant. If you look at some of the build blogs / pictures I'm sure all will become clear.

HTH

Ive looked at various build pics and very little actually shows how the clutch cable is mounted to the pedal

The clutch cable fitting to most floor mounted pedal boxes uses a U shaped bracket with a hole to thread the cable through, (Known as a clevis) and a pivot that goes through the clutch pedal arm

Edited by Snapperpaul

Think my thread has been highjacked by the Zero problem, let's split the thread, I will carry on with my thread and talk about the V6 box issue, others can start a Zero thread.