Gas Analyzer Results

Guest Jomeo69

Guest Jomeo69

Afternoon all.

This afternoon the nice man at my local MOT station let me put the car on his gas Analyzer with some interesting results.

2L zetec running jenvy throttle bodies and Andy Spencer's kindly donated map.

Now car had warmed up nicely but the actual values were a shock to say the least and im after some suggestions as to how to get them down.

I know in the ideal world a full tune up at emerald would be the thing to do, but with me being in ramsgate and them in norfolk, at the moment that just isnt possible.

Using the rolling road register on the internet i found a couple nearish, but none that would either pick up the phone or could quote me under £500 and a two day job which was a real shock :blink: .

So with IVA paid for and test date to be declared we need to get these figs down.

The readings were as follows :

CO: - 3.64% (TARGET 0.20%) :shok:

CO2: - 12.10%

HC: - 1185 PPM (TARGET - 200 PPM) :shok:

02: - 1.33%

LAMBDA: - 0.91 (TARGET 0.99 - 1.03)

Now i knew it wasnt running that well but Crikey.

If anyone has any ideas how to correct this it would be great.

I suppose i could crack out the laptop and modify the map in the area that the test is done at but what exactly would i need to change????

As per usual any input is always appreciated.

Joe

The problem is that you need to see what the lambda is doing anything else is just guess work.

It looks like you are running massively rich but without gas analysis you could go very lean and not know.

Rolling road and I would suggest soon or you could bore wash the engine.

Ask me how I know??

Check the oil if it is thin and smells of fuel it starting the process

Edited by Snapperpaul

Remember no-one has yet been able to use someone else's map to get their exact same setup running properly. That's why I freely give out the few maps I have, just to help people get going to some degree, with the proviso that they probably won't work that well and be careful about resulting damage. They do seem to be better than most base maps though.

In addition my setup doesn't need to meet IVA requirements, as car was SVA'd with an '89 pinto, so the emissions go off that.

Having said that my CO and HC are less than that, and without a cat. Sorry to say this but unfortunately the only way is to get a proper rolling setup done. Many others have tried to avoid this, but to no avail with the Emerald setup.

Its not just about idle but also the higher rpm test. It really is very very hard to try and do this on your own. In principle it should be as easy as tweaking a carb screw and moving a dizzy but in reality it seems to be a real art.....

If you must try yourself you can sit with the laptop connected with the gas analyser as well and reduce fuelling using the function keys at idle, also at the higher ranges, but its about pushing the ignition curve as far as possible without pinking as well. Headspin combination unless you're experienced.

Remember the rolling road investment - do it once and do it properly - and once done, its done for good and there's no fettling required.

Good luck.

First thing I would do is make sure that you have calibrated all the sensors correctly and the engine is reading them all OK. TPS, coolant temp, air temp, CPS, lambda and baro if you've got one. Next check what fuel pressure the map is set for and correct. Next check what flow injectors the map was set for and correct. If any of these were out or needed resetting then you need to do the gas analysis again for it to have any meaning. Then you can start work on the map with the lambda and lappy.

Nigel

Guest dinger

Been there before and to great cost and headache, the only solution is to book it into an emerald friendly rolling road place,

I could advise you to this and that, turn around and touch your toes but all it will do is make you dizzy,

At this stage with IVA looming its the only sure way to know that you wont fail the test, the time and cost of a re test will pay for a rolling road setup,

I wish i had a better answer for you with a cheaper solution but its just not out there unless you really know what you are doing,

Even with my knowledge of 3D fuel maps, ignition maps and true values from sensors and ecu signals I couldnt get mine right and had to pay the money,

Dave