Shock Upgrades

Guest Griff

Guest Griff

I've done a search but the last reference to the subject seems to be around last March.

Has anybody upgraded to the Spax adjustables or similar recently on a series 3, if so any knowledge would gratefully be recieved, before trying to buy some.

PS. anybody fitted a chevy 5.7l yet as this might be the only way to go after rizla gets his car back!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have AVO adjustables on my New 111, the one with outboard front shocks. On the front Richard supplied 180 lb springs, AVO advised 350lb springs, I settled for 130 but it would have been better on 150. Same length shockers, 1 inch longer springs. On the rear I wanted 250lb, Richard supplied 180, AVO laughed and suggested 200 which I agreed but 250 would have been right. Same length shockers and springs as Richard supplied.

These figures only help you if you have the same setup. Outboard fronts. Rollover bar to centre of spring pan rears.

Nigel

New 111, the one with outboard front shocks

eeerr! don't you mean inboard? ie, they are inside the lines of the car (in front of the radiator actually)

I settled for 130 but it would have been better on 150. Same length shockers, 1 inch longer springs.

Probably right here, Mine has the other mod done, ie. the shocker top mount has been moved about 1½" closer to the pivot instead, keeping the 180lb springs, but with spax shockers, no anti-roll bar, tie bars instead. (much better IMHO)

I tried 200 lb springs in the rears, they shook my filling out! now have 170lb springs 11" long not 9" as the Spax units with the same "open & closed" lengths, neaded the 11" springs.

sorry I can't advise you part numbers. What I did was take a Zimmerframe unit to Demon Thieves, and get a Spax one that was the same open & closed length etc.

Jim

Yes, no problem. I think they were the final incarnation of the series three as my front bulkhead has the holes for the inboard shockers at the bottom just in front of the radiator. It was a prototype chassis Richard had taken to shows that year and had a dent so I got a few quid off! All the others picking up the same day as me had the production version so there are a few more New 111's out there. Can't see it being a problem changing a series three to this format but would hardly seem worth it as the 3A works fine if you ditch the ARB and fit tie bars or a wishbone.

Will take some pics tomorrow.

Nigel