What Steering Rack?

Guest gfautos

Guest gfautos

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a wishbone 2b chassis to replace my sliding pillar one, was just wondering what steering rack was originally supplied?

I've done a search and looked through no end of build blogs, but no one actually says what rack was used.

So any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

James

Edited by gfautos

Hi,

if it is the same as mine then it used a modified LHD metro rack with extensions on the arms. weird i know.

I think some also used the sierra rack. so as suggested maybe GBS can help.

If you can't get one from them and need to source one from a scrappy I think from what i've read on here the thing is to get the pivot point of the arms in line with the top and bottom wishbone pivot points, although don't quote me on that. hopefully someone with a definitive answer will confirm that. so if i'm right you need to measure the distance between those lines and get a rack with the same width between the pivot points. It doesn't really matter what car it came from as long as it can be connected to the steering shaft, has the correct width between the pivots and either connects straight to the siera track rod ends or can have adaptors (easy enough to do i had some made).

If it is incorrect you will get bump steer, where as the suspension travels up the rack arm travels through a smaller arc and therefore pulls the wheel in so if you go over a bump it trys to steer you, when it should continue straight. If its just a little out you can raise/lower the rack to get it in the best position for min bump steer.

A good tip on here was to put magazines under the wheels when you are doing tracking and things like this as they allow the wheels to slide around rather than grip on the garage floor.

hth and makes some sort of sense