Ecu Compatibility Query

Guest BobblingAlong

Guest BobblingAlong

Hi all,

Not sure if this query belongs to Engine or Electrics - apologies if this is in the wrong area.

When i was a wee lad (not so long ago) i started my RH project and stupidly didn't actually read up on sierra types so bought myself a 1.8 CVH. This has caused many many problems in my build, most of which i have been able to overcome (with the use of a hammer or a credit card) however i now have a query that i am hoping you guys mught be able to help me with...

I bought a 2.0L pinto which is now installed, with a carb that i bought of a RHOCAR memebr a while back (I think it was BigJim) but forget what type of carb it was. I am now trying to link up the fluids and electrics to the engine and want to know about ECUs.

I have to admit to knowing nothing about ECUs... I have the original ECU from the 1.8CVH and am wondering if it can be used / is need for my 2.0L pinto engine (1985 205 block)?

Also is there any easy way to identify my carbs?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bobby

Guest mastarforth

I stand by to be corrected but I dont think the ECU will be compatible.

I would suggest looking at buying an aftermarket ECU, or perhaps luminition Ingintion that will allow you to get moving.

Meqasquirt/mega jolt type ECU will work I am sure.

Carb engines generally do not have ECU.

Carb jetting looks after mixing the correct air fuel mix.

Ignition on pinto is looked after by a distributer and normally has mechanical advance built in for speed and a vacume advance built in for economy (connected to inlet manifold by a pipe).

Most later pintos had electronic ignition module in place of points and only need conections to pick up on distributer, connections to coil and power from ignition switch. Longboarder has published the connections at least once.

Your Pinto should have a distributor fitted, it will be one of 3 types, full manual, one with a Motocraft amplifier or one with a basic ECU, this can easily be identified by looking at the Haynes manual.

If fitting an aftermarket ECU such as the Megajolt you will still require the distributor ( or at least the bottom half) as this is the drive connection from the cam belt jack shaft to the oil pump.