First Engine Start

Guest oddsocks

Guest oddsocks

Right ho i've put it off long enough(worried it will go pop!) Im gonna start my car for the first time on the weekend, its a new zetec engine.

Is there anything i should do before first start up???

Obviously i'll check its got oil and water and petrol,anythin else-what about oil pressure-was thinking about taking plugs out and turning it over a few times to make sure oil has gone round the engine.

Anything else?

Dont worry i'll film it and put it up-look out for the hose pipe and fire brigade!!!

Jamie

Guest RPD1970

Hi Jamie,

Plugs out and turn it over first sounds like a good plan. I'd have a fire extinguisher to hand too!

Can't wait to see how it goes! What injection system did you go with in the end?

Russell (Fellow Oxford Blue)

Guest ethanicus

Hi,

Take coil connector off, plugs out and turn over for a few seconds at a time. This will hopefully prime the oil pump and get some oil pressure in the engine. Replace plugs and coil connector. Check oil level and fire her up.

Let it run up to temp then turn it off. Let it cool then backup to temp. Check for oil/water leaks.

At idle when warm you should be able to balance a pound coin on the rocker cover if running right.

Good luck and wait for the big grin. :-)

Cheers,

Jon

Guest oddsocks

Hi Jamie

Plugs out and turn it over first sounds like a good plan. I'd have a fire extinguisher to hand too!

Can't wait to see how it goes! What injection system did you go with in the end?

Russell (Fellow Oxford Blue)

Went for jenvey with emerald ecu,think its a tried and test system. Hear gbs got all the maps for them as well so it should be simple to setup.

What are you going for russ? Hows the build coming? Any pics-be nice to see a fellow blue zero build.

Jon, i cant wait to start it, like the way you say to prime oil etc first-thats what i was thinking, hopefully have good oil pressure straight away. How much psi is good oil pressure?

Jamie

Guest mcramsay

when i went for the first start on my zetec, i coudlnt get any oil pressure, i would prime the oil pump before you do anything, either whip off the oil filter and top it up with oil and put it back on (can be pretty messy doing this) but if you can prime the oil pump it wont take long to get pressure... make sure you have some form of oil pressure indication, even if you just stick a 12v bulb onto the oil pressure sender. i would also before you turn it over, remove the rocker cover and give everything a good coat of oil, before you fire up. it will take a bit of time to get a good flow of oil at the head, and the first few secs will be crucial for the cams.

Guest oddsocks

when i went for the first start on my zetec, i coudlnt get any oil pressure, i would prime the oil pump before you do anything, either whip off the oil filter and top it up with oil and put it back on (can be pretty messy doing this) but if you can prime the oil pump it wont take long to get pressure... make sure you have some form of oil pressure indication, even if you just stick a 12v bulb onto the oil pressure sender. i would also before you turn it over, remove the rocker cover and give everything a good coat of oil, before you fire up. it will take a bit of time to get a good flow of oil at the head, and the first few secs will be crucial for the cams.

Thats a good idea bout the filter craig. but i havent put oil in yet so i will put it in and let it run down the engine before i start it so the cams will have a good coating of oil.

What oil are you using 5/30 semi syn?

Hi Yanto

moment of truth? :-)

The advice given above regarding oil pressure is sound, however the engine is not "dry" as with a rebuild so I wouldn't worry to much. Only low oil pressure I have noted was incorrect short oil filter.

You will need to prime the fuel system before trying to start. The ECU will only run the pumps a few seconds and then wait for a crank signal before restarting them, with a dry system this can take a while, Just switch the ignition on and off a few times, allowing the pumps to go through the cycle, you will hear the high pressure pump note change, when it is delivering full pressure.

Calibrate the TPS in the ECU or it may get a little confused.

Common fault on first start is balance on Jenvey throttles. if it fails to start, or runs uneven PM me.

set tick-over, but if you do adjust, remember to re calibrate TPS.

If you have installed the performance map, the coin test may not be possible, only ever seen that on a roller engine 20/25 circa 1920's but it ticked over at 400rpm. approx 950rpm should be fine.

Regards

Guest oddsocks

Hi Yanto

moment of truth? :-)

The advice given above regarding oil pressure is sound, however the engine is not "dry" as with a rebuild so I wouldn't worry to much. Only low oil pressure I have noted was incorrect short oil filter.

You will need to prime the fuel system before trying to start. The ECU will only run the pumps a few seconds and then wait for a crank signal before restarting them, with a dry system this can take a while, Just switch the ignition on and off a few times, allowing the pumps to go through the cycle, you will hear the high pressure pump note change, when it is delivering full pressure.

Calibrate the TPS in the ECU or it may get a little confused.

Common fault on first start is balance on Jenvey throttles. if it fails to start, or runs uneven PM me.

set tick-over, but if you do adjust, remember to re calibrate TPS.

If you have installed the performance map, the coin test may not be possible, only ever seen that on a roller engine 20/25 circa 1920's but it ticked over at 400rpm. approx 950rpm should be fine.

Regards

Pm sent

Good advice about covering cams in oil. Plugs out and two drops of oil in each cylinder is also good. Blacktops can be difficult to get to prime if they have been without oil for a while and the pump is dry. Fill oil filter. Keep topping up as it soaks into the filter. Now spin on fast. Messy - yes but if you now wind the engine gently backwards a few turns on the crank pulley nut it will draw oil back to the pump. Once the pump's wet it will prime. Otherwise as above.

Nigel