New Bonnet Needed, Help!

Guest np247921

Guest np247921

Im new to the RH scene and purchased an Exmo over a month ago, enjoyed every minute of it until the other weekend when the bonnet came off in 1 go whilst i was doing 25-30mph along a back road to my house. ( still unsure to why its happened) It went straight up and over and landed front end down, the result a massive dent/crease/fold in the corner, generally a mess. Ive taken it to a steel engineer tonight so they could see the damage, as i thought its worse case scenario and cannot be repaired. Theyve quoted me a between £200-£250 to fabricate another. Does this sound about right or does anybody have any other suggestions? Really gutted as ive missed out on all the glorious weather we had last week and its a bill i could do without.

Thanks

Mike

My advice would be to fold your own replacement from alloy sheet. Review fixings to make sure they can't undo themselves. Cut roughly to shape plus 20mm all round. Two simple bends round a telegraph pole or similar. Place on car. Mark and trim front and back. Mark and fold one right angle bend where one side joins the body. Add your new better fixings (Dzus perhaps) to that side and fold the other side about 7mm short. Add fixings. Add side vents. Jobs a good'un.

Cost one sheet ally and perhaps two front Dzus fasteners. Vents could be holes which are free.

Nigel

Guest gixerboy600

The obvious choice would be Great British Sports Cars in Nottingham, number on here somewhere,

Marty Smith

Bugger me who would have thought???????

If ordering from GBS I doubt they will have measurements for your specific car. They could probably supply a bonnet for you to trim to fit if you can supply your cars measurements as all the early cars differed a little in size and people tended to fit the nose cone in slightly different positions, both height anf fore/aft. If you want a shiny bonnet in Zintec, with louvres, then they are the obvious source. But it's not as straight forward as it at first seems.

Nigel

i wonder if you even need to bend it around something. when i made the back panel for the 2b i just marked the centre of the curve and the knelt on the one edge and pulled up towards me and bent the curve and flexed to get the curve the right kind of size/shape. thats how RH said to do it on the video.

either way i've got a nice curve on the back panel corners.

hth