The Dreaded Job Is Done!

Guest Getting There

Guest Getting There

Hello

Well after putting it off for weeks dreading the task, the rear panel is now completed! Took 2 of us three hours, but now it is complete it looks good, temp fitted it to the car, and there is a bit of trimming required arounf the roll bar area, but thats all.

One quick note, how to you work out what is the front and rear of the back arches, I know they are different but how do you tell the difference??

Quick link to the pictures

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae174/Chrisstubbs5/Zero/Build%20Pics%201/DSC00526.jpg

Please be nice!!

Thanks

Chris

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Hi mate, a small point, the bottom panel that will get riveted to the chassis should not be riveted flush with the side rear panels. Fit the rear panel on then push up the underside panel and it should meet the chassis rails leaving two triangle ear shapes either side, it looks wrong but this is how the rear diffuser fits. Even if you don't fancy fitting the rear diffuser it needs to be like this as at least one member has done it like yours and then ripped out the rear under panel on a large bump in the road. You will just need to drill out the rivets and then refit. On the later panel like mine the rear underside is split into three triangles that all push up onto the corresponding chassis rails.

That all probably makes no sense at all so I will wait for Nick or David to explain better with links to their blogs.

Cheers

Spencer

p.s nearly finished my rear panel, just sorting out the side curves down to the side panels, which is a whole story in itself. Good luck.

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Sorry didn't answer your question. The rear arches have a angled edge which goes on facing the front, the straight edge goes facing the rear. Have a look at the GBS demo car picture attached.

Spencer

p.s Nice job on the rear panel curve, looks good.

Cheers Spencer, always nice to have my attempts at blogging and photography appreciated.

I'm just chuffed my pics have helped others.... :)

Chris, go to my Photobucket account (link below), there's a stand alone section on fitting the rear panel or a written article in my blog to peruse.

The rear arches have a flat parallel bottom at the rear and angular at the front. It is possible that GBS have given you two the same hand? It's happened before.

(Disclaimer..... The above reference to GBS is not intended to be negative in any way, but merely pointing out that mistakes can occur).

Chris. Looks like a good job mate. Glad to see the tadpole trim fitted as I have seen a couple part built cars on 'the bay' where it doesn't look like the builder has fitted it and it could be an IVA fail without! As mentioned, the side fixings need to be made once the panel is offered up to the car as they don't sit fush to bottom. I nearly made the same mistake but I looked at Nick's pictures first and they put me on the right track. My rear panel has the cut outs mentioned so I was able to get a nice fit. It is very fiddly to get right and it just needs patience. I must have dry fitted and removed my rear panel half a dozens times or more. There are more details in my blog but spread over 4 entries, 3 in May 2011 and 1 in June 2011. I think this gives you an idea of how long to took me before I was happy with it.

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Thanks for your Blogs Nick & David. I have printed them out and they are in an A4 folder in the garage marked "Build manual".

Cheers

Spencer

Chris,

Looks good I did the same and riveted the bottom panel with the sides found out later had to drill them out and reposition. No problems you can not see the additional holes later with the rear arches on.

All the best.

Mark

Guest Getting There

Thanks boys!!

I will get the panel to fit at the top correctly then re do the bottom of the panel then see what it looks like.

Thanks for your help!

Chris