Engine Won't Fire

Guest danny_samb

Guest danny_samb

Hi all, after some advice, I have a 2 litre pinto completely standard, iv had the engine running loads of times previous, now I have decided to put conduit round all wires, since doing this my engine won't fire, then earlier it fired removed all the conduit and it fired so put all the conduit back around wires and put coil back in it's holder and now won't fire again, I put the multimeter on the coil and when the ignition is on I'm gettin 12 volts so I'm getting power there just no spark, could anybody help please

Guest danny_samb

Just standard conduit, just using standard ignition, iv removed most of the conduit and tested the ohms of all the wires coming from the ignition amplifier and get a reading from all of those, plugged it all back together and now have a spark, all wires were covered in loom tape before going into the conduit, what should I do now

that shouldn't be a problem.

only two things I can think of

Poor connection or broken wire when the cables are moved together

or

if you have ESC ignition I have heard they are prone to cross feeding if the wires are in close proximity. wires should be shielded but that can break down over time.

If you have ESC it may be better to leave well alone,

Regards

I know this sounds odd but it's an odd problem. Dangerous too. Try starting the engine conduit less and then applying the conduit with the engine running. You might find a wire that gets pulled or bent, or it might just stop at some point when you bend the loom or you might get third degree burns from the exhaust or loose a hand on the alternator belt. Endless excitement and fun. You may learn something. (Not to listen to me?) Seriously don't do anything unsafe!!!!!

If you are sure the coil gets its 13ish volts when conduit is on then in some way the conduit is affecting the triggering signal/earthing of the coil negative to the amplifier, ecu, esc2 or whatever controls it.

What ignition system do you have?

Have you got hold of some odd shielded conduit from a 'funny' source or is it standard stuff from VWP or europa, etc?

Nigel