What Engine To Go For?

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

This must be a topic as old as th robin hood, what are the merits of the various engines that can be shoe horned into a 2B? I've been driving around with a fairly knackered stock standard 1600cc for a year and are looking for a little more power (got beaten by a scally in a Golf GTi, - not good). The thing is I also use my Hood as a daily run around, so the thought of gas guzzling Weber DCOE makes me worry. Ideally I'd like about 130bhp, with good economy and reliabilty, and cheap to buy, not much to ask!! I thought of a 2l EFi from a Sierra but don't like to cut any holes in the bonnet and it's a heavy lump. A Zetec from a insurance write off also sounds good, revvy light and compact, does anyone know how this would mate to a Sierra gearbox, or what need doing with engine mounts. Also does anyone know anything about fitting Honda VTECs or Rover K Series as these seem light powerful engines, could these be mated to a Sierra gearbox?

Guest timswait

Also meant to ask what implications it would have for emissions tests. At the moment I have an E reg plate so emissions tests are easy, would I need a catalytic convertor if I fit a newer engine, would one even fit in a hood?

As far as I know as you already have an E reg plate, you can change the engine to anything you fancy and the emmissions test for E reg vehicles will still apply i.e. no Catalytic converter issues to worry about if you fit a modern engine.

I had a bulk standard 1600 Pinto, which I swapped for a bulk standard 2000 Pinto with 4-1 manifold and Kent FR 30 Cam and 32/36 webber carb. The increase in performance was amazing without costing a lot of dosh.

Richard

Be Careful about fitting a Honda VTEC.....I have heard they rotate anti-clockwise.

That will give you one forward & 5 reverse gears .

The K series is a common fit to a Sierra box (even Caterham managed to do it!)

But other suppliers also offer cheaper bellhousings.

Cheapest way out for 130bhp would be a mildy tuned 2 litre Pinto.

Stick with a DGV or preferably a DGAS for reasonable economy & reliability.

Check Dave Andrews site for the How To...

Guest timswait

Does anyone have any names of suppliers for bellhousings for Zetec or K Series to Sierra box? And what would need to be done to connect the driveshafts?

When I was looking for which engine to go for, I have only found one web site were a K series was being retro-fitted into an earlier RH, and it looked a nightmare! also it wasn't working out cheap. The Zetec will go in, I think that it will fit straight onto the g/box ( those in the know will confirm or not!) but it's a tall engine, so it's either dry sump it, or cut the bonnet and add a bulge. Dave (the gauge) Thomson from the Midlands has done it, have a look at his.